S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY:: Soft top Repair

Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY:: Soft top Repair

Okay well this is my fix for our tops that seem to tear no matter what. I have had this on my car now for about 6 months. Through the last part of the summer, up until now. I have still put the top up and down with complete success. NO LEAKS!

I have re-done the drivers side just for this, as i have had numerous questions on how i did this. The passengers side is the original. This is a picture of the final product we should end up with.

Well on the project.
You will need:
1. 3M Weather strip adhesive
2. Duct tape
3. Sissors or razor blade
4. Some "stay-fast" material or patch material from Honda. (i used roofing rubber from commercial buildings, but you probably wont be able to get ahold of any)
This is a picture of the glue and other materials. I believe i got the glue at O'Reillys

1. To start off i cleaned the area with just regular windex. Nothing special, you could probably use anything as long as it didnt leave any kind of residue. My holes are probably alot worse than alot of other on here as i think some one helped them along before I bought the car. Here is what I am starting with.

2. Next I put the duct tape on the inside of the top. I did this so that the glue would not just fall through the holes and to help keep them as close together as i could. Un-latch the top and just lift it slightly to relieve some of the tension on the material.

3. After you have done that latch the top back and start to put the glue on the top. I use the tube and squeeze it just enough for the glue to come out slowly. Hold the tip just barely off the surface and move around the outside of the cut or tear. Move the tip in a circular motion and apply thin. This will keep it pliable so you will be able to put the top down. Let this dry for about 15-20 minutes.

4. While that is drying prepare you patch if you have not already. Once you have your patch cut to size you will be ready to put it on the top. Apply another thin layer of glue to the patch and to the top. let this sit for about 5 to 7 minutes or until tacky. (DO NOT touch these 2 pieces together unless you are sure of its placement. You will have to start over if its not right. Ask me how I know ha ha)

5. Now place the patch over the tear being sure its perfect.

Let this sit and dry for about 15 minutes. After you let it dry go back to the glue and go around the edges with the same motion as in step 3. This will seal the patch completely. This should not only make it water tight, but also keep any of the edges from peeling up while driving or anything else.

I then let this dry and applied one more coat to the edge very thin just to be sure its all covered with no gaps or missed spots.

I did this at night so i could allow it to dry overnight so that the weather would not affect it. I hope this helps some of the people like myself that just can not afford a new top right away. As i said earlier it has worked great for me and i still use my top with no issues. As long as its warm outside the glue stays pliable enough that it doesnt seperate. It has been through snow, heavy thunder storms and everything else and i havent had any problems. The glue will fade a little and dull out. The other side that has been done for a while blends in with the top very well and is not very noticable at all. If you have any questions about anything or a suggestion of something to make this better send me a PM or post a reply.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up s2kVTAK, looks like the repair job get a lot of attention but no leaks and do I see a yellow corvette
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Ouch. Thats a pretty big mess!!!

Check out the link. Its a fix on a MR2 soft top. I used the same method to repair both the right and left side of my 2002 s2000 soft top. I did about 16 months ago and it is still holding up strong and looks great. No leaks. And you cant even tell repairs were done, taking consideration how large the rips were.

http://www.zjstech.net/SpyderTop/repair.htm
Old 01-23-2009, 12:36 PM

eh, not the prettiest in the world, but as long as it works
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Smit' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM
Ouch. Thats a pretty big mess!!!

Check out the link. Its a fix on a MR2 soft top. I used the same method to repair both the right and left side of my 2002 s2000 soft top. I did about 16 months ago and it is still holding up strong and looks great. No leaks. And you cant even tell repairs were done, taking consideration how large the rips were.

I added this to my favorites so when I do get a rip in my top I got a good looking fix! nice find bro
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM

I did something to the same effect with, I think, cleaner results.

1)I went to a car interior shop and asked to buy a few scraps of black convertible top material. They handed me a 10x10inch scrap from the floor and said have a nice day.

2)I used the same 3M weatherstrip and gasket adhesive and applied the piece to the UNDERSIDE of the soft top, and adhered the scrap material over the existing tears and let set overnight. I figured that I could stop further wear and stop the rips and tears where they usually originate from; from the soft top frame.

3)I then used black silicon (soft pliable, and matches top.) to fill in the rip on the outside of the top. And used an old credit card to smooth the excess silicone around the tear and let that dry and set overnight.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 PM

the shiny from the glue dulls and blends in
Old 01-25-2009, 03:19 AM

I don't want to be rude or anything, also, I'm sorry that you can't afford a new top, also I understand that the hole in your top is massive etc, but dude, that looks HORRIBLE wtf?

I still don't believe this is real, specially since your sig says "I <3 my Honda" .. what's next? red tape from pepboys for tailights DIY?

Oscar
Old 01-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oscar...I know what you mean. But in this economy, I can sympathize with the OP wanting a robust patch until he can afford a new top. Unfortunately, I'm sure that others may be in the same financial situation so I thank the OP for at least providing a workable (if unattractive) solution.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Smit' date='Jan 23 2009, 03:09 PM

so...

steps
1. stitch it up
2. add iron-on patch on the inside
3. remove stitches
4. add vinyl repair kit on the outside

materials
1. thread/needle
2. iron-on patch (walmart fabric section)
3. vinyl repair kit (as seen on tv product)
4. little hobby iron

the mini iron seems like a soldering iron with a bigger flatter tip (it took me a while searching online).

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produc...oductId=108587

i'm under the impression that the vinyl will melt if heat is applied by an iron. SMIT what did you do for ironing on the inside? any problems with heat and the vinyl top?

Quick Reply: DIY:: Soft top Repair