S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY:: Soft top Repair

Old 01-25-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Smit that patch you did on the MR2 looks great . I am going to get the material you used to add strngth t my top . I have the original top on MY01 and fortunatly have no holes or tears but this will be a good preventative measure .
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by negcamber' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:28 AM
Oscar...I know what you mean. But in this economy, I can sympathize with the OP wanting a robust patch until he can afford a new top. Unfortunately, I'm sure that others may be in the same financial situation so I thank the OP for at least providing a workable (if unattractive) solution.
OK, please OP accept my apologies if I was a bit unconsidered .. is just b/c it hurts to see stuff like this, specially since there's other ways/means that you can fix it without been expensive (like the Mr2 fix) ... but reminds me people on beater cars (sometimes not) with broken taillights that put those HORRIBLE red tapes from Pepboys that I am guessing cost $5 instead going to a junkyard and getting taillights for $15 ...
Also bothers me b/c S2000's are amazing cars and DESERVE respect ..

Oscar
Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadwsndst' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:36 PM
I did something to the same effect with, I think, cleaner results.

1)I went to a car interior shop and asked to buy a few scraps of black convertible top material. They handed me a 10x10inch scrap from the floor and said have a nice day.

2)I used the same 3M weatherstrip and gasket adhesive and applied the piece to the UNDERSIDE of the soft top, and adhered the scrap material over the existing tears and let set overnight. I figured that I could stop further wear and stop the rips and tears where they usually originate from; from the soft top frame.

3)I then used black silicon (soft pliable, and matches top.) to fill in the rip on the outside of the top. And used an old credit card to smooth the excess silicone around the tear and let that dry and set overnight.

I did the same thing while I was waiting for my new top to come in. This work great and looked real clean
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the mr2 site i just went out and got the bondex patch from walmart art/crafts/fabrics section (2 each) for $1.23 a piece and i went to joann's fabrics and got the mini iron for $10. this is good for prevention.

total cost = $12.46

i already have the cabela clear plastic patch crap (for prevention by the latches) and i'm going to remove it. only have one tiny tear on the passenger side rear that i'll have to get a vinyl repair kit for (but it's not a priority).

my top is junk until i get another one, so i can error with the heat on the vinyl. the patches say to heat the material first and then apply the patch and then heat the patch on the material. we'll just have to see how the vinyl reacts (whenever i get around to it).
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM

the reason i made this was for a couple people that asked. i know its not the best option out, but everytime i asked or searched for a patch or anything all i got was tape it up or go to an upholster and get it fixed or things like that so being a struggling student with no excess money i went to my folks house and did what i could with what was in the garage. this patch doesnt actually look that bad after its been in the weather for a little while. it dulls out and it hardly noticeable till your close. my s2k is hardly the nicest on the roads as much as i would like to say it is, its not. it needs the whole front repainted, alot of hail damage and door dings repaired from the previous owner, and some motor work as its got 106k on the clock and having all sorts of little issues now. including a new top. i just dont have the money to buy a new top so i did what i could. i know it may be a "disgrace" to some people on here, but i hear time after time is that these cars have become more affordable and that younger "kids", like myself (21yrs) are buying them. if they are anything like me i have always loved these cars and hope to nurse mine back up to new again, but i gotta do these kinds of things until i can get to buying a new top.

i hope that this has helped at least one person to get through until they can buy a new top. if its not my fix then the one off of the mr2 website. either way there are 2 useful ideas that have come of this and that makes it a success in my book.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blah5' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:31 PM
I added this to my favorites so when I do get a rip in my top I got a good looking fix! nice find bro
x2
Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 04stoner' date='Jan 26 2009, 11:03 AM
x2
x3
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by blah5' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:31 PM
I added this to my favorites so when I do get a rip in my top I got a good looking fix! nice find bro
x4 here
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:28 AM
Oscar...I know what you mean. But in this economy, I can sympathize with the OP wanting a robust patch until he can afford a new top. Unfortunately, I'm sure that others may be in the same financial situation so I thank the OP for at least providing a workable (if unattractive) solution.
I did something similar. My top has been torn for a year and nothing worked but that did. I drive with my top down 90% of the time so i could care less how it looks when it's parked and i'm not looking at it. My repair job is a little cleaner but who cares
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oscar_driver' date='Jan 25 2009, 09:17 AM
OK, please OP accept my apologies if I was a bit unconsidered .. is just b/c it hurts to see stuff like this, specially since there's other ways/means that you can fix it without been expensive (like the Mr2 fix) ...

Oscar
The MR2 fix doesnt work well. I already tried it. It cracks about the second time you put the top down and then falls apart

Quick Reply: DIY:: Soft top Repair