S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Vented Aluminum Hood

Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Excalibur
Really nice. How does the paint not chip while using the air saw? I have an air saw like that in my box at work and it would create alot of vibration imo. Just curious. When you sanded, did you try green scotchbrite discs?
Sorry forgot to mention the vibration and how i solved it.
  • Have a few people hold it down, if you have friends that are willing to put up with the sound.
  • I used 2 tables and put the hood in between them. ON each table I had huge moving towels to prevent scratches and vibration.
  • Be mindful of the angle of your blade and the pressure the metal is putting on the blade itself
  • If you're familiar with... using a chain saw, it's the same concept. Once you get deep into the cut - whatever you're cutting collapses on the blade.
    • To solve this you can have someone press slightly upward on the metal area you are cutting.
    • This keeps everything flush and happy.
  • Go full throttle on the saw.
    • I found that pussy footing around only made it worse. Full gas makes it substantially smoother.
Good luck.
--Matt
Old 06-06-2012, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to do this when I get a compressor or can take the hood off and bring it into work. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM

I just had my friend Seth do this mod to my car theother day, it turned out awesome! I'm waiting for my filter cover to get ina dn I'll post up some pictures! Definitely my favorite DIY mod so far!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Gearhead, thanks for the very nice DIY. I'm seriously considering adding one central hood vent just behind the radiator for increased cooling. The low pressure over the hood is at it's maximum near the line between the top of the front tires. I'm going to initially try it with no grill for max airflow (my S2000 is a race car). The mod is allowed in Honda Challenge and a 1 point mod for NASA PT/TT.

A couple of observations from this thread:

The 3 hole mod has the rearmost hole too close to the high pressure area formed by the hood/windshield junction (that's why many cars have their interior vents located at the base of the windshield). If you really want a functional vent stick to the first two holes (I know that won't look as good but it will keep you from pumping air into the rear hole).

As seen in the pic above you definitely need an air scoop to pull air into the airbox area. Without a scoop there the low pressure above the hood will pull hot air from the engine bay around your air filter and OUT that hole. If you have a cold air intake it would make more sense to have the hood vents in the center or driver side of the hood.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Any skilled people with an airsaw in central florida area willing to help out? haha I would be eternally grateful.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by mattstryfe
Originally Posted by bnag0' timestamp='1294421756' post='20049379
If i am running a FIPK should i make a custom cover to protect it from the rain before cutting the first big vent? I can't see it being totally okay for your filter to get drenched with rain or am i mistaken?

Originally Posted by RAYZ-Ace
Originally Posted by bnag0,Jan 7 2011, 09:35 AM
If i am running a FIPK should i make a custom cover to protect it from the rain before cutting the first big vent? I can't see it being totally okay for your filter to get drenched with rain or am i mistaken?
look back a couple pages, i posted a link to a thread by s factor where he made a custom cover, or look into injens hydro shields

Bnag!

I posted my solution on your thread!

For everyone else that asked about FIPK + Vented hood. I have had zero issues with water with this solution. Also has been said to prolong filter life. I am definitely happy with it thus far and would recommend to anyone with a K&N.

This
+ this

works pretty well.

Product link

Application:

Good luck!

1 caveat I should mention. I also have this...

Which I am sure helps keep standing water out (if that's what you're worried about). However, it probably sucks up MORE water with a scoop than without. Assuming the scoop forces air in like it's intended too. Jury's still out on that one.

I want to get a FIPK but I am worried about the water issue. What kind of rain have you been through with no issues with the filter cover? The description on K&N's website says it 'limis' debris and water I'm just skeptical about how effective it is with a hood vent right above it. Does anyone have a picture through the front vent with the FIPK installed? I'm wondering how much the filter is exposed.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM

18 months like this, a couple rain storms but not a DD. No issues. Just lots of glorious K&N intake noise.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by duffsr
18 months like this, a couple rain storms but not a DD. No issues. Just lots of glorious K&N intake noise.
Thanks for the pic. Mines a DD so I might look into the Injen heat shield like S-Factor did.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 AM

Love the mod. Anyone able to do this in KY or perhaps willing to ship for a good price?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:00 PM

I know this is an old thread, but has anybody done this hood mod with a plasma cutter? Will a plasma cutter cause the metal to warp due to the heat it produces? Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY: Vented Aluminum Hood