S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

do i really have to use genuine honda antifreeze coolant?

Old 11-19-2003, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
I for one will stick with a non-silicate, whatever color I happen to use. Why not just stick with Honda's? Who knows if low silicate is low enough - what does aluminum compatible mean?
It is not worth the risk in my book, and the pre-mixed Type II is convenient.
I agree that simply being low silicate is not enough. It must be 100% silicate free to go in my S2000. But, I also know that there is nothing really special about the brew that carries the Honda label. Their deliberate vagueness makes us feel uneasy about using anything but the Honda coolant lest we damage our cars. I paid $30k+ for this car and I believe that entitles me to know what is and what isn't compatible. How about releasing a specification for this fluid like the American car manufacturers do? If there was one, all we would have to do is look on the container for the specifications met to immediately know what we can and can't use. After spending that kind of money, being strong armed to using their products just rubs me the wrong way. My local dealer charges $11.36 per gallon and it's premixed at 50/50. Base on what I see other premixed coolants going for, that's way too much.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:17 AM

i put in this green stuff, i had to drain the engine, so i changed the coolant to a non honda one
it never freezes here , its always hot
is it ok? , or do i drain it again, and put honda stuff?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not all "green" stuff are the same. You better check the label on the jug you used.
"Anti-freeze" not only keeps the coolant from freezing, but it also increases the boiling temp of water. If it never freezes where you live, you still need the antifreeze for corrosion protection and lubricants for the water pump. Have you considered "wet water"? I think it has corrosion inhibitors in it and is good for hot climates.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This really getting out of hand.

Okay, last time:
1) U want non-silicates. NON_SILICATES> I listed a bunch: Ford's, Toyota's, etc.
2) Who knows if the water wetter and similar products have adequate pump seal lubricants and anti-leak components? Uh huh. Plus, they are fairly high in phosphates, which tends to turn the reservoir dark.
3) Considering how infrequently the coolant needs to be changed, being cheap does not make sense. I mean, there are people here who spend $1300 for a Mugen CAI.

Old 11-22-2003, 06:31 PM

well, if it meets Hondas specifications, they CAN'T deny warranty work if you use an aftermarket brand.. if they only want you to use their product, they I believe have to provide it free of charge..
Old 11-23-2003, 02:43 AM

I just talked to my friend who's the shop foreman at a local Honda service center (and an experienced 25+ year tech) and told me this much...

1. In an emergency case, you could use off-the-shelf "green" coolant with tap water if needed. It's better than not having any or running too low.

2. He strongly advises against using "normal" coolant if it's other than an emergency.

3. His take on the subject has to do along the lines of it being corrosive for the delicate aluminum parts of the engine.

4. The only 2 products he recommended that he was abolutely certain was good stuff was the Honda Genuine product and the red stuff Toyota sells.

5. He threatened me (being that he's a lot stronger than I am) that he'd put his foot so far up my butt that I'd spit out his toes if I ever used anything but the Honda or Toyota stuff in my car.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He supported what I have already told you guys - except he does not understand the difference between corrosion and abrasion. The silicates are effectve anti-corrosives, but they are abrasive. Honda's formula is both anti-corrosive and anti-abrasive.

As to the previous post that any formula that meets Honda's spec is OK, I agree with that - except it leads us right back to the issue of abrasion. Toyota Red, Honda, Ford Gold. These are non-abrasive coolants. Done, finito, end of story.

Make it stop!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:16 AM

Bought some honda non-silicate anti-freeze from my dealer on saturday - around
Old 03-01-2004, 07:03 AM

Could someone tell me what color the Honda Genuine Coolant is?

I have absolutely no idea what's in mine, other than that it's green (bought the car used, haven't flushed it yet).
Old 03-01-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by heffergm
Could someone tell me what color the Honda Genuine Coolant is?

I have absolutely no idea what's in mine, other than that it's green (bought the car used, haven't flushed it yet).
Green! If you have an '00, this is the only year that the coolant is NOT a long life kind. It should have been changed and flushed after 3 years the first time and then every 2 thereafter unless you switch to a long life one, but this requires extensive flushing first.

Quick Reply: do i really have to use genuine honda antifreeze coolant?