S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

EPS Intermittent to Total Failure

Old 10-06-2021, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing EPS problem

Thanks for chasing down your issue and relaying back to the community how you fixed it.

I just bought a 2000 Berlina with 255,000 from Connecticut that I am basically completely rebuilding. I am currently chasing down issues while fighting frozen and snapped bolts while taking everything apart as it was driven in the winter.

you described the problem I am experiencing and I’m hoping you can relay what the correct fix was so I can at least start there if it doesn’t end up being the solution.

'full assist when turning left, then no assist turning right' issue I had dealt with years prior’

We’re you able to pinpoint the problem? I am waiting on my security torx to get in and will be starting with the easiest fix of cleaning the torque sensor.

thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.

Thanks to Eibmoz75 and all others that contributed to it, as this thread is very informative for me. I am glad to know that Eiboz has finally resolved his issue I've been having EPS issues within this past year and based on Eibmoz75's experience, which is similar to mine in which he gradually lost PS, I believe my issue is also the rack.

Car: '04 S2k, 58k miles, completely stock

- Less than a year ago, I would lose power steering while driving. It would initially occur while I was pulling into a driveway at slow speed making a slight turn, such as at the gas station or in my driveway at work. Turning the ignition off, waiting a minute, and starting up again would make the EPS light go off and bring back power steering (PS).

- One incident was when I was getting onto the highway, making a left turn bend on the highway on-ramp. EPS light went on, lost PS, pulled over, ignition off, started
engine, and PS back again. This was when I thought I'd better take action.

- After reading through many great S2ki threads on our infamous EPS system, I deduced that it was the torque sensor. I ordered the OEM torque sensor from Majestic Honda. Luckily they had it it stock at the time. Not sure about now. Installed it, did the relearn and my S2k was back in business! No light and PS back, full time!!!

Fast forward to about a month ago. I started the car, tried to reverse out of my garage, and EPS light went on and lost PS. Tried the EPS relearn 3 times with no luck. (Keep in mind that I currently hardly drive the car, which others mention is a contributing factor to EPS issues. At most, I drive the car once a week, for only 20 miles per trip. Car is on battery tender once a week as well.)

I believe my rack is the current culprit, mainly based on Eibmoz’s extensive R&D and concluding resolution. Here is my problem:

1. My first choice is to buy a new/unused OEM assembly. I don’t mind biting the bullet and paying over $1k. However, I believe all Honda online parts stores show the rack as “discontinued,” unless I am looking in the wrong places. Please let me know if you know otherwise.

2. My second choice is to buy a rebuilt/remanufactured. By doing so I know the core is based on an OEM unit, and only worn parts are replaced. However, I checked online and went to Napa and AutoZone, and they are all telling me that it is currently Unavailable. The Napa guy told me that it is highly possible that no one seems to have a core to rebuilt from, since the car’s production was limited, duh.

3. My last option would be a used assembly that wasn’t rebuilt off of Ebay. I saw one on Ebay today. They are asking $799 and claim it is out of a car with 68k miles, which has more miles than mine! It may just be me, but I can’t find myself taking the risk of buying it without knowing its history and current condition.

Option 3 above may be my only option. Unless one of you can guide me to a new or rebuilt unit. It would be greatly appreciated if so!!!

Side note: Based on the knowledge I gained from this thread, there are only three main parts of the EPS that could be causing EPS failure: Rack, torque sensor and EPS module (unit). I already have the torque sensor, and am in the quest of obtaining a rack. Sad to say that the EPS module appears to be on backorder. Hence, Ebay also appears to be our only option for this too. Unless, one of you knows otherwise…

Thanks for reading, and for your advanced responses!!!

: