S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Espelir Spring Install Questions

Old 06-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Espelir Spring Install Questions

Well, this past weekend, I installed my Espelir ASD springs over some Koni Yellows.....

I've heard about people installing springs backwards, and I'm wondering if that may have happened in my case.

Currently, my front wheel/fender gap appears to be about half an inch smaller than my rears.... In all of the pictures I've seen of ASD's the gaps seem to be equal... that's what led me to write this post...

BTW, my Koni's are on the upper perches.

I'm hoping that after these springs settle they do even out.....

Is there any way to physically tell the difference between the front and rear springs without my having to disassmble my suspension (ie. count the number of coils)?

When I installed my rear springs, I did NOT have to compress my springs in order to bolt on the upper mounts.... In fact, there was about an inch or so space between the top of the spring and the upper mount.... so basically the spring was just hanging there.... it didn't have any tension until I bolted down the shock and preloaded the suspension.... and when I did preload the suspension, the bottom coils were already touching eachother..... This is one of the main reasons why I think i may have the springs installed backwards.....

Is it normal to have "free-play" when installing rear springs or should the springs be under some tension.

These espelir's had sloppily attached stickers which indicated fronts and rears..... But it would not surprise me if someone had placed the stickers on the wrong the springs...

Thanks!
J.J.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give them time to settle .... I also had room for the spring to move up and down with the tops put on.

Here's a few pics and hope this answers some of your questons

Rear Espelir Springs

Rear (near shot)

Rear (far shot)
Old 06-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply... I'll definitely give it a few weeks to settle..... quick question... do you have a pic of the front springs as well?

It looks like the bottom coils of the rears are pretty close together.... are the front's the same way?

Thanks!
J.J.