S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Swift spec r springs install ?

Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swift spec r springs install ?

Ive tried searching but cant find a solid answer. I'm going to be installing Swift spec r springs on my Ap1 with truhart Short Stroke Shocks that are made for lowering springs with a minimum of 1" drop. Will I need to cut my stock bump stops? Also the lowering springs need to be compressed onto the new shocks due to the shorter shaft. Is this ok? Ive never compressed a lowing spring onto a shock/strut because Ive never used shorter stroke shocks.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Are the bodies shorter? Or the shaft lengths? Or both?

If the shafts are shorter, you'll need spring compressors.

If the bumpstops are too close to engaging, you'll need to shorten them or leave in them as part of the spring rate.

I'm guessing swift designed them to be part of the spring rate. A lot of people use stock shocks.

I guess all these questions could be answered by asking why you want to use shortened shocks.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with socks that have shorter shafts, I felt it would be a better pair for lowering springs,
Old 02-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Shorter shafts means they have shorter travel and if they provide even less droop than the OEM dampers, that could be bad should you hit a bump/irregularity that is severe enough to pogo you off of the bump stops. You will lessen/lose rear tire contact which can result in a loss of control. You first would need to determine how much travel is available in the shock to judge if you need to shorten your bump stops; keep in mind that shortening the bump stops will also affect their behavior and they may not be of high enough rate to fully protect your damper from a high speed compression event that uses up all of your stroke.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by lowS2k
I went with socks that have shorter shafts, I felt it would be a better pair for lowering springs,
Shorter shafts by themselves mean more preload on the spring. So...more compression travel...but less droop travel.

I am assuming the body is not lengthened...so maybe the drop that Swift advertises will be the same amount as with stock shocks??

Ideally, you want short bodies and longer shaft travel.

Is this being done for performance gain? Its a very odd route you've chosen.

See if it works!

I would just use the stock shocks. You'll be working the bumpstop...but there's not too many good ways around that.

But...again...if you want to experiment, see if it works. Tune the bumpstop length accordingly.

Try not to use the "claw" compressor that you can rent. Nobody listens to me. But...you're going to damage the spring's finish.

One more question....can these shocks handle the spring rate increase? My assumption is yes. But...are they any good at it?