S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Excessive Valvetrain Noise

Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Excessive Valvetrain Noise

Hi All, I need some help. I have a 2002 S2000 with 37000 miles. I'm boosting my car and just had the head sent out to have Inline Pro dual valve springs, titanium retainer, and new oem valves. I installed the head back onto my car with the Inline pro 3mm head gasket.Now I have excessive valvetrain noise.Turbo kit is not on the car yet. Need to take care of this problem first. Definitly sounds like the rockers are just chattering away. I pulled back off the rocker assembly to double check everything there and also doubled checked all my vavle clearances. All good. I didn't have this noise before the head work and now I do. I'm was a certified tech, and followed the Honda Helms guide to the T. Just can't seem to figure out whats going on. I spoke to the guys down at Inline Pro, and they never had someone call in with this problem. Did I miss something when putting it back together? I'm stumped can anybody help me?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think most of us have struggled with valvetrain noise at start-up to various degrees since buying our cars. It's no big deal, just annoying IMO. I used to be able to control it with switching brands of engine oils. But it has not been easy since the advent of SM oils (lower ZDDP additives). So I decided to attack the problem from a different angle with fuel (upper cylinder lube) additives. I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive and it seems to be working great. I just use it according to the instructions (4ozs/10gal fuel) and have virtually no valetrain noise on start-up now. I figure it helps to lubricate the fuel pump too. As with any fuel additive, I don't think more is better. So stick with the instructions for fuel additive.

As a side note, my oil analysis consultant, Terry Dyson, does not like me using MMO. He says it is just a lubricious solvent with Frankenstein chemistry. He wants me to try FP Plus by LCD (Lube Control). I just bought 2 gallons of it, so I will be trying that soon too.