S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Failed emissions again! :(

Old 07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
MIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Failed emissions again! :(

I posted a few months back about my s2000 failing emissions after having it in the garage for around 6 months or so. Everyone believed that it was due to sour gas in the tank and that it needed a nice hard drive.

A few months ago, my Carbon Monoxide Levels 8.9 and then 7.8. (max allowable: 6.3)

I got my 3 month insurance and I thought I can burn off the tank of gas and drive the car for a few months and clear the car out. So I went back for emissions test today and it failed again with a Carbon Monoxide level of 6.8 (max allowable: 6.3). Hydrocarbon and Nitrogen passed with flying colors.

I have no clue what the problem can be. I just got a oil change done 3 months ago and I've been through at least 10 tanks of 94 octane gas.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!?!?!?

I was given a booklet at the emission test that says:

High CO Emissions Causes:

Excessively rich air/fuel mixture
O2 sensor malfunction
Faulty computer control(s)
Malfunctioning fuel injection system
Inoperative/missing catalytic converter
Carburetor float level maladjusted
Air cleaner, choke or carburetor
Defective canister purge system
Old 07-07-2005, 02:24 PM

Since it is slowly getting better, I'd say try again. Drive the car more before doing so though.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 PM

For starts, an oil change is not "just" when it was 3 months ago. I don't think that is your problem but just an FYI. Have you done any mods to your car? What is your mileage? Was the car up to full temp when you are doing these tests? You need to make a run to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic on the O2 sensor. If that seems to be fine you will probably need to replace the cat. You haven't had any CEL's??
Old 07-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Spark plugs, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, catalytic converter, injectors. Those are the things that would probably be involved.

If it were me I think I would...

Change the spark plugs
Perform the "map whack"
Reset the ECU
Drive through a couple tanks of fuel with a good quality fuel injector cleaner (do some reseach).
Test again.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 PM
MIC

More about my car:

Year 2000
35,000kms
8,000kms with current airfilter (time to replace)
Never had any problems with my car
Never seen a CEL
No Mods to the engine and NO bolt ons
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 PM
MIC

On my TO DO list:

Change airfilter
Change Sparkplugs
Map Wack
Reset ECU
Run Fuel injector Cleaner
(would changing the fuel filter help?)

From Dealer:
Check O2 Sensor

Anything else guys?

Old 07-07-2005, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAC,

Can you be a little bit more specific about the pollutant level? How is it measured, in which unit?

Very important, your MIL (check engine lamp) should have come on if the levels are really too high! Odd!!

My first guess would be a missing oil cap, because I've run a test without one on (this was on another vehicle) and CO was sky high. If your oil cap is still there, is it sealing properly? Is the rubber tube connected to valve cover and inlet manifold still intact? Maybe it will help when you clean your throttle valve at the inside. Finally, could be a severely clogged air filter.

All these causes as I stated above should not necessarily trigger the check engine lamp and (apart from severely clogged air filter) not be too noticable regarding driveability of the car.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Siepel
Old 07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
MIC

Originally Posted by Siepel,Jul 7 2005, 04:23 PM
MAC,

Can you be a little bit more specific about the pollutant level? How is it measured, in which unit?

Very important, your MIL (check engine lamp) should have come on if the levels are really too high! Odd!!

My first guess would be a missing oil cap, because I've run a test without one on (this was on another vehicle) and CO was sky high. If your oil cap is still there, is it sealing properly? Is the rubber tube connected to valve cover and inlet manifold still intact? Maybe it will help when you clean your throttle valve at the inside. Finally, could be a severely clogged air filter.

All these causes as I stated above should not necessarily trigger the check engine lamp and (apart from severely clogged air filter) not be too noticable regarding driveability of the car.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Siepel
Thanks for the reply. I left the report at work so I will give you full details tomorrow.

I will check the oil cap.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 PM

Check your warranty, you may still be covered. I don't know what Honda covered for 2000 in Canada, but my 2004 US emissions warranty is 7 years 70,000 miles (no idea what that would be in kms). At least down here most manufacturers cover emissions a lot longer than the rest of the car. Hopefully you'll get lucky and Honda will simply fix it for you.

Good luck!

John
Old 07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
MIC

[QUOTE=Revenuer,Jul 7 2005, 07:15 PM] Check your warranty, you may still be covered.

Quick Reply: Failed emissions again! :(