S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

First major turbo issue - clutch slipping.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First major turbo issue - clutch slipping.

Hi, thought I'd share the first (as I see it) turbo related issue - the clutch is slipping. At high boost (10-11 psi on race gas) at about 5k rpms when the turbo spools up, the clutch just slips through and doesn't propel the car anywhere. I really dogged the car last saturday, running around .8 BAR (11.6 psi), and that might have something to do with it. But we are going to be replacing the clutch with an aftermarket clutch. The OEM one just can't hold up to that much horsepower.

It holds up just fine to WOT at low boost right now, so I'd imagine if you didn't ever go to high boost or drive it as hard as I do, you won't have any problems.

Incidentally, anyone have any preferences for aftermarket clutches? I need something that will potentially hold up to 700+ hp, and is somewhat streetable.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:38 AM

Get a pucked clutch.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisD
Incidentally, anyone have any preferences for aftermarket clutches? I need something that will potentially hold up to 700+ hp, and is somewhat streetable.
Star can supply a clutch to do the job. Talk to one of the resellers here or call Dave at Star.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, if you want to discuss clutch/pressure plate options w/the Star units - PM/email me or give me a ring: Randy @ 512.947.1729
Old 04-25-2002, 07:11 AM

Hey Chris, what's your 1/4 these days? and how much power are you putting to the ground?
Old 04-25-2002, 07:24 AM

Once I get the clutch replaced and regap my spark plugs (they actually might be fouled, I've been running rich - the FMU just turns up the fuel pressure so much on high boost) I'll hit the dyno again and let you know.

As far as the track is concerned, 12.6 is still the best, I haven't been out too much since I'm worried about my rear end and would rather have it last than have one or two runs in the recordbooks.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:44 AM

I have the star clutch ( stage 3 ) on the way.
I'll post my impressions on it when installed !
Old 04-25-2002, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisD
[B]Hi, thought I'd share the first (as I see it) turbo related issue - the clutch is slipping. At high boost (10-11 psi on race gas) at about 5k rpms when the turbo spools up, the clutch just slips through and doesn't propel the car anywhere. I really dogged the car last saturday, running around .8 BAR (11.6 psi), and that might have something to do with it. But we are going to be replacing the clutch with an aftermarket clutch. The OEM one just can't hold up to that much horsepower.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Dude, you've got to be kidding me that you are even describing this as a turbo issue.

Whats the deal with you not having your turbo kit yet?? It seems to me that you have damned good reason to ask for your money back.. That's BS..

I talked with Star regarding the Stage 3 clutch, they are claiming that it will hold over 500 hp flywheel so that is what I will be going with as well. There is a local shop here who is also a dealer for star and they have installed it in a bunch fo American performance cars. They said it's the best clutch they've ever used, and pedal effort is minimal, but grip is awesome.

Chris
Old 04-25-2002, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cjb80
[B]Dude, you've got to be kidding me that you are even describing this as a turbo issue.

Quick Reply: First major turbo issue - clutch slipping.