S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)

Old 06-28-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also forgot to add that the CEL stayed solid and that it is 6 codes, 1 pending 5 stored p1399, 0300-0304)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A couple thoughts that may either shed light or be completely useless:

1) Like flanders said, have you confirmed that oil pressure is good when the problem occurs just for peace of mind that it's not the vtec engagement pins disengaging as the oil gets hot?
2) Is VTEC even working on your car? I mean, I think I hear it, but I didn't hear any crossover at 6k rpm at 1:35 in your video. It would be easier to hear in a video with the airbox cover removed.
3) How about an intermittent/failing crank sensor? The ECU should know which cylinder is misfiring based on when the crank sensor notices a distinct lack of smooth crankshaft acceleration from a power stroke. If you are getting codes for misfire on all cylinders, plus a code for unknown misfire, that points to the crank sensor (mistakenly) seeing all kinds of anomalies. I would normally expect other codes to be thrown from a broken crank sensor, but if it only malfunctions under high heat, high rpm conditions, then maybe the ECU wouldn't have time time confirm it. You can get one for only around $50 from ebay or craigslist.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

The engine sounds loud at idle to me.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jflies
2) Is VTEC even working on your car? I mean, I think I hear it, but I didn't hear any crossover at 6k rpm at 1:35 in your video. It would be easier to hear in a video with the airbox cover removed.
Yeah, this.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you accelarating full throttle during the pulls?
Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 354 Likes on 329 Posts

Checked Throttle position sensor set to correct values ,if not done already..
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Generally valves get tighter as the car puts on mileage on s2ks, so when doing valve adjustments its no where out of the norm to loosen valves back up and then lock them down into place. But seems like you took everything apart so you wouldnt know because you just disassembled it as you were upgrading parts.

I've been fighting misfire codes every dam year with s2k's. Cant seem to get away from them. If its my friends, mine, or someone I randomly meet at the gas station lol. I actually even made a thread about a year ago.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...guide-1172733/

Did you just swap the coils around or did you buy brand new ones and replace them? From your OP it seems you just swapped them around? I would buy 4 brand new ones, most people replace their coils get denso packs for roughly 50 a piece from autozone or 40 a piece on amazon. For ap1's you can use ap2 coil packs as 00-05 are interchangeable. 200 bucks to solve a problem on a s2000 isnt bad. Every time I see the P3199 its a coil pack in "working order" but isnt preforming optimally leading to misfires (Aka its going out)

Are the coils nearing 100k? 10-15 years old? then they dont owe you a dime and im surprised they are still working as good as they are. BTW year and mileage of the car?

Heres the steps I would take with your car.
1). Replace coils
If that doesnt fix it I would start looking at maintenance items or ware items.
2). Check brushes on alternator, (they should last well up to 150k-200k on stock brushes)
3). New intake filter
4). pcv valve
5). throttle cable slack if your car is pre 06
6). reset the ecu and drive 5-15 miles before hitting vtec again.

Look at the video in my thread, I never really go into vtec unless im merging and dont hold it there for long but with the past coil packs I had im sure I would have gotten a flashing cel/solid for misfire if i putting it under load with THOSE coils. I changed coils, and got the injectors cleaned and it fixed it. When coil packs go out they go out in two ways. Completely stop working or they slowly stop doing their job. In your case it looks like its preforming subpar untill its eventually going to cause a misfire are idle, wont be a cel at idle at first but work up to it, if you listen to the exhaust you'll hear a popping noise every 3-5 seconds and thats your car misfiring but its not enough to throw a cel. If you havent, try replacing all coils, dont replace just the bad ones and have to deal with this another 6 months to year later.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by s2cho
I would buy 4 brand new ones, most people replace their coils get denso packs for roughly 50 a piece from autozone or 40 a piece on amazon. For ap1's you can use ap2 coil packs as 00-05 are interchangeable. 200 bucks to solve a problem on a s2000 isnt bad. Every time I see the P3199 its a coil pack in "working order" but isnt preforming optimally leading to misfires (Aka its going out)

Are the coils nearing 100k? 10-15 years old? then they dont owe you a dime and im surprised they are still working as good as they are. BTW year and mileage of the car?
Do you think the coil packs deteriorate with age, or miles, or both? I ask because I have low mileage, but old, cars. I know wiith spark plugs Honda recommends changing them at 8 years no matter the mileage. I changed out 15 year old plugs with 10K miles on them and there was noticeable improvement. Is it the same with coil packs?

Last edited by rpg51; 07-01-2018 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
Generally valves get tighter as the car puts on mileage on s2ks, so when doing valve adjustments its no where out of the norm to loosen valves back up and then lock them down into place. But seems like you took everything apart so you wouldnt know because you just disassembled it as you were upgrading parts.

I've been fighting misfire codes every dam year with s2k's. Cant seem to get away from them. If its my friends, mine, or someone I randomly meet at the gas station lol. I actually even made a thread about a year ago.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...guide-1172733/

Did you just swap the coils around or did you buy brand new ones and replace them? From your OP it seems you just swapped them around? I would buy 4 brand new ones, most people replace their coils get denso packs for roughly 50 a piece from autozone or 40 a piece on amazon. For ap1's you can use ap2 coil packs as 00-05 are interchangeable. 200 bucks to solve a problem on a s2000 isnt bad. Every time I see the P3199 its a coil pack in "working order" but isnt preforming optimally leading to misfires (Aka its going out)

Heres the steps I would take with your car.
1). Replace coils
If that doesnt fix it I would start looking at maintenance items or ware items.
2). Check brushes on alternator, (they should last well up to 150k-200k on stock brushes)
3). New intake filter
4). pcv valve
5). throttle cable slack if your car is pre 06
6). reset the ecu and drive 5-15 miles before hitting vtec again.

Look at the video in my thread, I never really go into vtec unless im merging and dont hold it there for long but with the past coil packs I had im sure I would have gotten a flashing cel/solid for misfire if i putting it under load with THOSE coils. I changed coils, and got the injectors cleaned and it fixed it. When coil packs go out they go out in two ways. Completely stop working or they slowly stop doing their job. In your case it looks like its preforming subpar untill its eventually going to cause a misfire are idle, wont be a cel at idle at first but work up to it, if you listen to the exhaust you'll hear a popping noise every 3-5 seconds and thats your car misfiring but its not enough to throw a cel. If you havent, try replacing all coils, dont replace just the bad ones and have to deal with this another 6 months to year later.
I've already replaced all 4 coil packs unfortunately (was hoping that'd be the fix based on your thread). car is a 2003 w/ ~83k miles
Old 07-03-2018, 12:09 PM

wanted to comment and leave an update...

dropped off the s2000 at evasive this morning, hoping to get it back some time next week tuesday. (they're going to check my valve adjustment first so the car needs to spend the night and cool down before they start anything)

as much as i like scientifically and logically testing things one by one to find the problem issue i can't afford to do that when it comes to evasive motorsports and testing it on their dyno.
it makes more sense for them to look over everything all at once and double/triple check anything before running it on the dyno than changing one thing at a time and testing it on the dyno (can't afford that kinda dyno time!)

i will update this thread when i hear back from them

Quick Reply: Flashing CEL during prolonged VTEC use (3rd gear+)