S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Frozen/seized caliper bolts

Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen/seized caliper bolts

Yesterday, I attempted to partially disassemble the stock calipers on my '04 to inspect my pads more closely (still running the pads the previous owner put on, I wanted to know what I was working with). However, it seems that the 12mm bolts holding the calipers on have seized up HARD. I managed to tap one loose, but I stripped a 2nd one and decided to stop there.

What's the best way to proceed here? I've got to deal with one stripped bolt, and of course I don't want to strip any others.

Some details: the car was cold, including the brakes (since I wasn't changing anything). Ambient temperature was ~55F.

Fortunately, I've got time before the pads *must* be replaced; I just wanted to see what kind of pads were on the car when I bought it, and inspect before I upgrade them.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

If you were using the right tools you wouldn't be able to strip the head on the bolt. You should use a 6-point impact metric socket with either an impact wrench or a breaker bar to remove it. Now, you're going to have a difficult time getting it off.

You might want to start by using a 6-point impact socket and see if it works. Start by warming the brakes up first with a drive. You can try spraying some PB-Blaster first and hopefully you can get some in the threads.

Once you crack the initial grip of the threads, it should come off easily. Be sure to replace the stripped bolt, and I suggest that you use some Anti-Sieze compound on the threads to prevent this from happening again in the future.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You can slide the whole caliper out to work on it if you want. It will slide out with the pins.

Get a bolt out kit hammer it on and be done.

It shouldn't be more than 35 lbs tight anyways
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM

OK, so my lesson for today is to warm things up, and a use 6-point socket - I was using a box-end wrench (not a particularly rigid/nice one, at that). I guess I wasn't thinking of the likelihood of seizure - makes sense, given the heat cycling brakes go through.

I'll definitely replace the stripped bolt, and treat with anti-seize. If I can't get the bolts out in-place, I'll look at taking the whole caliper off.

Thanks, y'all!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjboudrx
OK, so my lesson for today is to warm things up, and a use 6-point socket - I was using a box-end wrench (not a particularly rigid/nice one, at that). I guess I wasn't thinking of the likelihood of seizure - makes sense, given the heat cycling brakes go through.

I'll definitely replace the stripped bolt, and treat with anti-seize. If I can't get the bolts out in-place, I'll look at taking the whole caliper off.

Thanks, y'all!

If worse comes to worse, you can take a slightly smaller socket and grind the edges(usually since the sides are rounded from you striping it, you wont have to grind it.) of the bolt to let you pound the socket on there.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Andersonracing
If worse comes to worse, you can take a slightly smaller socket and grind the edges(usually since the sides are rounded from you striping it, you wont have to grind it.) of the bolt to let you pound the socket on there.
Ah, OK. Hadn't thought of that.

I'll remember how to gear head one of these days...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjboudrx
Originally Posted by Andersonracing' timestamp='1398100778' post='23122529
Ah, OK. Hadn't thought of that.

I'll remember how to gear head one of these days...

Also, always remember when breaking something loose dont just pull and pull on it, thats what rounds the head. ALWAYS "pop" it, and if it doesnt pop loose, spray it with some lubricant and get a tool to better fit the job. Just think about it, and impact gun doesnt just twist bolts out, it applys heavy blows to the bolt or nut to "pop" it loose.