S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gas Cuts Out @ Max Gs

Old 11-21-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me once, I had about 1/4 tank of gas. My car is completely stock.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love using juice on turns, I have a ZEX system should I not use it on left hand turns?
Don't spray if you know you are going to go lean when you starve for fuel. Kaaooom!! Or a good chance of it.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by david1
Old 11-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Banned

By the way this is making my car dangerous.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Banned

Now it's happening more often and on right hand turns. Sometime I won
Old 11-24-2003, 06:51 AM

anything is possible, i know i got a 88 crx with 160k on it and fuel pump is still going strong.....but then again it doesnt use much......if i were you i would upgrade the pump to a strong aftermarket one and see if that fixs the issues.....it would be good to anyway since your sprayin
Old 11-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have suffered this problem too for sometime now . My Honda service tech and I have been replacing one thing after another...and we're likely down to the last possible component (yup...the fuel pump). My pump is on order (been awaiting aftermarket Warranty company to accept the parts/labor & they did so the pump is on its way ).

Sure hope this helps...although I see previous post here where its considered a design flaw & not likely a faulty pump per se. That is depressing. I want to (and will for now) hope that I simply have a bad pump.

Want this scenario "real bad" ...try having it fail on a straight-away at 80mph & dropping to 4th to whoop an approaching Z4 coming up from behind you in your mirror ... Exhibited the exact same hesitation then as the [more typically experienced] left sweeper/turns do just about consistently now .

Really hope this fuel pump replacement fixes the problem. If not...I seriously wonder what I'll do with The Bruised Banana. A "more conservative" driver would never even notice this issue. But putting the car to its paces, this "fuel cut-out/hesitation" is an absolute S2K-hater characteristic for me at the moment.

- Dave
Old 11-24-2003, 05:53 PM
Banned

Thanks for the post, Keep me updated and I'll do the same. Could you please list what you replaced so I can show the Honda Tech? My friend is the sales manager and he said that I can bring it in w/ the juice and it wont be a problem as long as the Regional Service Manager (who is a major dick) doesn't have to see it. There are many lawsuits against Honda due to this particular Regional Service Manager. My appointment is next Wednesday.

Did your problem start off like mine and got progressively worse?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if I'd say mine has gotten "progressively worse" or if I'm just taxing the car "the right way" to make the problem exhibit itself. I *can* say that RSMs are "major dicks" however . They're like company HR employees. As HR folks' function is to KEEP LITIGATION OUT and not to actually help the employee for the employee's sake, so too the RSM exists for AHM's benefit...not yours and mine. Its ashame...and a sham.

What have we replaced:
  • Spark Plugs
  • Coils
  • Hmmm...what's that sensor over the throttle body? MAP sensor
  • Entire Throttle Body itself

Think that does it. Plus a LOT of test drives with my service mechanic in the passenger's seat with his MS Windows-based diagnostic software/jimmy communicating with the car's computer.

Notice we have not hit the Fuel Injectors as of yet. Could be a piece of trash in there I reckon ...but I've run FI cleaner through my tank a few times to no appreciable avail.

What else? Not much. Did have another owner mention that our fuel tanks have baffles within them. He'd suggested that it is possible that a baffle might have broken loose within the tank and shifts around to cause a problem. My hope is that while the mechanic is in the process of replacing the fuel pump, he'll be sure to investigate the condition of the baffles within the tank. Also possible (and my expectation is that it will be part of the fuel pump replacement since this resides within the same area as the pump)...the fuel filter itself may be fouled. It is not exactly an easy thing to replace & I don't believe it is part of any scheduled maintenance. Could be that, if fouled, it offers fuel bypass okay...unless severely taxed under hard Gs and/or hard acceleration.

- Dave
Old 11-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
Not sure if I'd say mine has gotten "progressively worse" or if I'm just taxing the car "the right way" to e tank.

Quick Reply: Gas Cuts Out @ Max Gs