S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Gearbox oil recommendation?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
If you like shifts like silk, no matter wich oil you use, give this a try: https://shop.liqui-moly.de/additive/...l-additiv.html
Are you using this stuff yourself? 1 or 2 tubes in the gearbox? You use it in the diff as well? What exactly is your experience with this and its effects? And which base oil did you use in the gearbox while you added this? Does it change anything to cold shifting?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

HAH!
Gentlemen, i was completly wrong! Thanks for correcting and enlighting me!
Wonderfull Forum!

But one little thing: I tested the orignal Honda MTF vs. the Ravenol MTF II, i found that the Ravenol works much better. Maybe interesting for European S2000 owners.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by simons
Are you using this stuff yourself? 1 or 2 tubes in the gearbox? You use it in the diff as well? What exactly is your experience with this and its effects? And which base oil did you use in the gearbox while you added this? Does it change anything to cold shifting?
Only at the gearbox, not in the Torsen diff that partly relies on friction.

I bouhgt my S2000 and the transmission was notchy beyond belief. Like a farm vehicle. The 3. gear especially somtimes gives a "blowback" when putting the gear in like firing a 9mm pistol.
ASAP i changed the gearoil to the Ravenol MTF II, that i found much better to the original Honda MTF in my former car, a Honda del Sol.
As expected, this makes things much better, but it was still a little bit notchy.
I go on and added one tube of the Liquy Moly gear additive and this was the finall step so to say, now the shifts are perfectly smooth.
If you think about it, It is crazy to add some MoS² stuff to a gerbaox that relies on friction at the synchro rings for proper function, but it really works.

The "ceratec" additive from Liquy moly should also work, but it´s much more expensiv.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM

@ ragtophardtop: Thanks. I know that redline makes extremly high quality oils, but they are the most expensive oils you can buy here in germany.
Roughly 30.5 US $ / Quart.

Schaltgetriebeöle Auto - RED LINE Synthetic Öle und Additive

I am not cheap on oil, but.......
but....
maybe i give it a try one day.

I often use the car for very spirited drives cross country and sometimens, not often, beat it over the Autobahn. The S2000 is not build for this, but it´s fun sometimes.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I add a Metallube for gearboxes with the OEM oil, best thing ever since after it I never listen to clack, clack noises .
Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
That number is now in the thousands.

Anyone using anything other than Honda MTF to improve shift feel are only masking an underlying problem. It can go 30k miles in a street car, and perform as good as the day it was put in. Track use can surely cut that number more than half.

Im not saying other fluids are worse, and sure there may even be something better.
@Billman250 , can you share what exactly would be masking something? Do you mean an additive, or a thicker fluid for the transmission? As I posted, I use redline MTL 75w80 GL 4. I changed out what I believe was the original fill at 50k miles. I'd like to understand if something like this is what you indicate will smooth the oil teeth off the synchros and make shifting worse.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil

Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

the Amsoil MTF lasts the longest by far.

regarding mazda, mazda manufactures the diff if i'm not mistakened, not the tranny.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeung528
the Amsoil MTF lasts the longest by far.

regarding mazda, mazda manufactures the diff if i'm not mistakened, not the tranny.
Did you personally try both Honda mtf and Amsoil mtf? How did you notice or decided the Amsoil lasted longer? And how many kms or miles are we talking about? =)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
Did you personally try both Honda mtf and Amsoil mtf? How did you notice or decided the Amsoil lasted longer? And how many kms or miles are we talking about? =)
yes sir.

new fluid feels smooth. over time, the shifting feels more notchy and less smooth.

honda mtf could go almost a year before this feeling.

redline, gm, etc even shorter.

amsoil goes for multiple years and still feels smooth.

i drove about 15,000 miles per year when trying these various fluids.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

My experience is that the Amsoil makes for a more notchy feeling at cold startup than the Honda MTF, but ends up super silky smooth once warmed (which doesn't take long).

EDIT: This is on Amsoil MTF that's <1 year old.

Quick Reply: Gearbox oil recommendation?