S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Getting better fuel economy

Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting better fuel economy

Currently just looking for tips on how to better my fuel economy. I'm not sure where it's at right now, but it aint great. I use Shell's V-Power 91OCT. I have roughly a 50 mile round trip commute each day. (I know, it's not MAJOR, but its enough). I am just curious aside from the obvious "short shift all the way to 6th, dont hammer down, stay out of VTEC, etc" what are some of the best ways to save fuel?

My current tires are Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 which are all seasons (they came with the car, and still have loads of tread left) so I know that's also eating up some of my gas.

Final note -- I am not asking this because I cannot afford it. I know there will be those who say "If you cant buy the gas, dont buy the car." I have no issue buying gas, but as with all of us we would love to get some extra bang for our buck at the pumps.

Any tips?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

A bit more air in your tires helps. How old are your spark plugs ? Synthetic oil in the engine and differential helps. Avoid mods that sacrifice low and mid-range torque for top end power. Reduce weight of the vehicle wherever possible - wheels, battery, exhaust, header, brakes, etc.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
A bit more air in your tires helps. How old are your spark plugs ? Synthetic oil in the engine and differential helps. Avoid mods that sacrifice low and mid-range torque for top end power. Reduce weight of the vehicle wherever possible - wheels, battery, exhaust, header, brakes, etc.
I just bought the car about a weekish ago, so I'll have to pull the spark plugs and have a look (car has 50k miles, so hopefully they aren't bad). Oil -- totally forgot about that. I'll make sure I check that on my first change. I'll prolly leave it bone stock for a while, and already removed that pesky spare tire! (Lets hope I dont need it!)
Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Originally Posted by zeroptzero' timestamp='1430528467' post='23598671
I just bought the car about a weekish ago, so I'll have to pull the spark plugs and have a look. Oil -- totally forgot about that. I'll make sure I check that on my first change. I'll prolly leave it bone stock for a while, and already removed that pesky spare tire! (Lets hope I dont need it!)
yeah that tire is a good weight savings. Make sure you have a clean air filter, and the pcv valve is in good working condition.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by Backmarker' timestamp='1430529181' post='23598682
[quote name='zeroptzero' timestamp='1430528467' post='23598671']
I just bought the car about a weekish ago, so I'll have to pull the spark plugs and have a look. Oil -- totally forgot about that. I'll make sure I check that on my first change. I'll prolly leave it bone stock for a while, and already removed that pesky spare tire! (Lets hope I dont need it!)
yeah that tire is a good weight savings. Make sure you have a clean air filter, and the pcv valve is in good working condition.
[/quote]

That's the one on the top of the engine that you just shake and listen if it rattles, right? Haha, sorry for the very unscientific description.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 PM

Just did some calculations and it looks like I'm getting maybe 17 or 18mpg...

I hit dont THINK I have a lead foot... then again I got the car a week ago so I'd probably be lying if I said I wasnt being agressive with it... I bet I am probably having more fun than I am realizing. Haha
Old 05-02-2015, 04:01 AM

When the engine is idling you can squeeze the hose that comes off the pcv valve with pliers and see if you hear a clicking noise, or you can remove it and give it a good rattle.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

That mpg is too low, unless you are tracking it. Even driving aggressively you should see low 20's.

If its not dirty air filter, its gotta be something else (O2 sensor?)
Old 05-04-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing wrong with wanting more MPG on any car. Especially if you are going to commute with it everyday.

Buy one of these: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

It'll help you monitor and observe your driving habits. It's a MUST if you want better MPG tank after tank.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

fyi
i have had my car since new(10/2003 it's a 2004) and i have consistantly seen 20-23 mpg in every day driving. i use vtec at least twice a day. i short shift. i have the spare in the car and about 10 lbs of junk in the trunk most of the time. i drive 90% of the time with top down. top down decreases mileage by 2 easily. my long distance driving has seen 28-30.

i think my mph is about average, with 5% of what most get. again i short shift from habit, lifelong habbit on all my cars. i don't own an automatic, someday i shall.

Quick Reply: Getting better fuel economy