S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Having to replace rear lower control arm...

Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having to replace rear lower control arm...

I have a dilemma. My passenger side rear shock mount bolts is seized in the bushing. I'm going to have to cut the bolt and drill it out and replace the entire control arm since Honda doesn't sell the bushings separately. When I replace the control arm, am I going to have to do an alignment immediately? Aren't there camber adjustments that are part of the control arm?

I ask because I'm installing springs and I wanted to wait until they settle to get an alignment. I don't want to have to get one right after I change the control arm then in a couple weeks get another one, but if I have to I have to.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STOP!!!! I had a very similar problem. My nearside rear wishbone (control arm) rear adjustment bolt was seized. If power tools, heat, cold spray and penetrating oil don't work, proceed as I did:

I cut out the old bolt using a reciprocating saw on either side (took about 30 mins).

A gearbox stand (or any other similar hydraulic/pneumatic lifting device) can be used to push the wishbone into your desired position.

I then used a small (about 5mm) drill bit and drilled out all the old rubber, allowing the bush to be pushed out.

There was a steel sleeve inside the wishbone (not sure if there's one for the shock mount) that needs a junior hacksaw blade inserting through the hole, then the handle attached, allowing you to saw it out without damaging the wishbone.

This will allow a new poly bush to be fitted. Mine was from a UK company called Powerflex and the bush itself comes in two halves, allowing fitting to take place without using a press. It took about 4 minutes. A new bolt to secure the shock can be sought from Honda.

Please don't succumb to Honda's spares system that makes you spend more...it'll be worth saving a few hundred dollars for around two hours work (tops).

If Powerflex cannot supply you with a bush, speak to Mugen or Spoon.

If you ensure you take note of the alignment bolt positions, you may be able to get away with sensible driving for a week or two, but it will need sorting fairly soon.

HTH

Matt