S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda oil filter cap wrench fail?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Strap wrench will solve all your problems, no matter how tight that filter is on there, I've never had a problem removing it with a strap wrench.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIS53500-Lis...071236&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Slowcrash_101; 12-31-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartarus
Oil filter pliers.
yup, filter pliers are the answer.

I've used the OE Cap/Socket type and the strap type and both can slip very easily. Strap types only work if you buy the perfectly sized strap, and the "window" for fitment is usually less than an inch, so they're pretty useless if you work on many different cars.

Filter pliers on the other hand fit the widest variety of filters and the grip strength is directly related to how hard you can grip the pliers....and since the pliers have teeth on them, they get even the hardest filters off. The ONLY downside is if you have the combination of a hard to get off filter and you want to reuse the filter for some reason....because you may damage the filter having to grip the teeth into the filter. BUT 9.9/10 times you will be throwing away the filter so damaging the filter won't be an issue. https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483245943&sr= 1-1&keywords=filter+plier

Another option is buying the type of filters that have a hex head on the end of it so you can use a socket wrench...but of course you are limited to the brands that sell these types of filters. (K&N sells some for example).
Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
yup, filter pliers are the answer.

I've used the OE Cap/Socket type and the strap type and both can slip very easily. Strap types only work if you buy the perfectly sized strap, and the "window" for fitment is usually less than an inch, so they're pretty useless if you work on many different cars.

Filter pliers on the other hand fit the widest variety of filters and the grip strength is directly related to how hard you can grip the pliers....and since the pliers have teeth on them, they get even the hardest filters off. The ONLY downside is if you have the combination of a hard to get off filter and you want to reuse the filter for some reason....because you may damage the filter having to grip the teeth into the filter. BUT 9.9/10 times you will be throwing away the filter so damaging the filter won't be an issue. https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5866-12-Inch-Filter-Pliers/dp/B000NPR33O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483245943&sr= 1-1&keywords=filter+plier

Another option is buying the type of filters that have a hex head on the end of it so you can use a socket wrench...but of course you are limited to the brands that sell these types of filters. (K&N sells some for example).
^In this case I would say pick up some filter pliers, I have a set that I use to take off over-tightened filters, but I won't use them to install filters. So pliers to remove and the Honda wrench to install should be a good solution.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
^In this case I would say pick up some filter pliers, I have a set that I use to take off over-tightened filters, but I won't use them to install filters. So pliers to remove and the Honda wrench to install should be a good solution.
I've never used a tool to help tighten a filter on the s2000 for fear of putting it on too tight, i've always tightened my filters by hand and never had a filter come off in 100k miles of street driving. If i tracked, i'd use one of those filter stoppers anyway so I never found a use for anything but filter pliers. That isn't to say that there's never a use for anything else but pliers....i just don't personally use them on the S since the filter is really easy to get to and grip, even with two hands. I actually have to use a specialized cap filter for my wife's IS350 and i buy K&N socket filters for my Aunt's RX300 since it's pretty impossible to get to the filter with any pliers or straps.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

The oem filter was designed to be torqued 7/8's of a turn after initial contact. It is a different gasket design. Treating them like a normal filter, and just tightening by hand, is risky. There have been engine fires, and lost engines due to lost oil pressure.

Just because it hasn't happened to you in 100k miles doesn't prove it won't happen tomorrow. You are taking a needless risk.

If you closed your eyes every time you crossed the street, and never got hit in 10 years of doing this, would you conclude this activity is safe?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The oem filter was designed to be torqued 7/8's of a turn after initial contact. It is a different gasket design. Treating them like a normal filter, and just tightening by hand, is risky. There have been engine fires, and lost engines due to lost oil pressure.

Just because it hasn't happened to you in 100k miles doesn't prove it won't happen tomorrow. You are taking a needless risk.

If you closed your eyes every time you crossed the street, and never got hit in 10 years of doing this, would you conclude this activity is safe?
Yes i am aware it requires 7/8's turn after contact (i'm not a newb to the car if you haven't noticed). But you are assuming only a tool is capable of doing this. Do you always make assumptions without knowing the whole story?

The majority of S2k owners in history tighten their filters by hand and the majority have not had their filters come off. Maybe you should take the time to think that it's possible to tighten the filter enough with your hands. We're not talking about the axle nut here. This is an oil filter and tightening it 7/8 a turn after contact doesn't take Hercules.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I can't get it on more than 6 by hand and that's struggling. But the strap wrench is so cheap, and it fits so nicely, and does the job so efficiently. I'm lazy but my laziness makes me be meticulous with the engine, because I rather work and maintain it than have to swap it out, which is even more work.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I can't get it on more than 6 by hand and that's struggling. But the strap wrench is so cheap, and it fits so nicely, and does the job so efficiently. I'm lazy but my laziness makes me be meticulous with the engine, because I rather work and maintain it than have to swap it out, which is even more work.
Same -- at around 6/8, my hands start slipping. I don't feel like I've run out of strength at that time, but any grease on the filter and my hands can't grip it any further.

We should get a few gym rats or meatheads together, guys who can really make a dent in this (as opposed to me), and make a video and measure and see how much torque is actually possible with bare-hands alone. I still do not believe 7/8 turn is possible barehand
Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
i'm not discouraging the use of the strap to tighten it, i'm just saying that i never needed it. If that offends some people around here, then so be it.

Personally the way i do it is i always use rubber gloves when doing oil changes and the filter is the last thing i do before filling the engine with oil. I make it a point to not get any oil on the exterior housing of the filter and so when it comes time to tighten it, i take off my gloves and my slightly sweaty/clammy hands have ample grip to then tighten it, especially with two hands. Most people should be capable to do it by hand, they just either don't have the grip strength (due to slippage) or don't realize "initial contact" actually happened earlier than they thought.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 3,377 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
i'm not discouraging the use of the strap to tighten it, i'm just saying that i never needed it. If that offends some people around here, then so be it.

Personally the way i do it is i always use rubber gloves when doing oil changes and the filter is the last thing i do before filling the engine with oil. I make it a point to not get any oil on the exterior housing of the filter and so when it comes time to tighten it, i take off my gloves and my slightly sweaty/clammy hands have ample grip to then tighten it, especially with two hands. Most people should be capable to do it by hand, they just either don't have the grip strength (due to slippage) or don't realize "initial contact" actually happened earlier than they thought.
That is great that you can get it on without needing to use a tool, must be nice
I have tried it and I just can't get enough power behind it to get it to the 7/8th's of a turn point, so I am set on using the over-priced tool that I have. I don't have the grip strength, there I admitted it.

Quick Reply: Honda oil filter cap wrench fail?