S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honda oil filter cap wrench fail?

Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
I have the cap or "socket-style" oil filter wrenches, and if a dealer installed the filter prior, it's Hulk-torqued. By the time I get to it 5-10k miles later, I sometimes manage to round off the "teeth" or "flutes" on the edge of the Honda oil filter(s) where the cap latches on.
On a few occasions, I've had to resort to the screw-driver trick, which turns a 5-minute oil change to an hour-long, messy affair.
Any alternatives?
Sandpaper to remove a stuck oil filter. I didn't believe it until I tried it for the first time.

Originally Posted by HarryD
Same -- at around 6/8, my hands start slipping. I don't feel like I've run out of strength at that time, but any grease on the filter and my hands can't grip it any further.
I still do not believe 7/8 turn is possible barehand
Sandpaper to get it that extra eighth of a rotation? Try it, and see if that makes a difference. I've never tried the sandpaper trick on install, just removal. But in my experience, it takes alot more force to break something loose than to torque it to spec.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
i'm not discouraging the use of the strap to tighten it, i'm just saying that i never needed it. If that offends some people around here, then so be it.

Personally the way i do it is i always use rubber gloves when doing oil changes and the filter is the last thing i do before filling the engine with oil. I make it a point to not get any oil on the exterior housing of the filter and so when it comes time to tighten it, i take off my gloves and my slightly sweaty/clammy hands have ample grip to then tighten it, especially with two hands. Most people should be capable to do it by hand, they just either don't have the grip strength (due to slippage) or don't realize "initial contact" actually happened earlier than they thought.
Are you saying that you can achieve the 7/8 turn after contact just by hand or that you never cared to check how much you actually turned it?
I'm sure there are people that could get the correct torque just by hand, just like there are people that can fully close a Captains of Crush #4, but there aren't many
Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the Tekton wrench posted earlier, for both install and removal. So what, the teeth scratches the exterior a little...as long as it doesn't actually puncture the metal housing then it still works perfectly as an oil filter.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I love how many internet warriors there are now, this is why S2ki has been dying for a long time now and why the old, friendly s2ki is long gone.

I'm not sure why so many people are being offended by my practices, unless you genuinely care about the well-being of my engine. i'm going to just say this again: i'm not telling anyone to only hand tighten your filter. 7/8 is the spec and however you get there is fine by me! have a nice day everyone.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

As long as you get 7/8, by hand, paws, machine, third limb, or whatever, it's good... We're concerned about people who don't do 7/8 (for the well being of their motor, engine fires, et al.). I'm just doubly impressed if you can do it without a tool, because I can't!

Besides all that is off-topic, this post was about my secret talent for stripping all Honda filters for S2000s, Civics, and Accords, on filter removal... Call it a super power
Old 01-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Maybe,we shouls all buy this: Oil Filter Stoppers - Protection for JUST $36 shipped!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire
No.

Instead, spend that money on the Factory Service Manual and follow the instructions within... It was written by the same guys that ENGINEERED the vehicle referenced on this site.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When the filter wrench started slipping on the filter, what I did was to apply a few layers of paint tape (I guess duct tape would work too) inside the filter wrench. This would tighten up the contact between the filter and the wrench, and gives a better grab for turning.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Or a sheet of paper, kind of how you do the same thing on a socket so you don't drop the bolt.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Just adding my experience, my car since 10/03, and I have done every oil change except two. I use Honda filters and 10/30 chevron from Costco. I hand tighten and usually need a filter pliers or socket setup to take off. Never, I mean NEVER had a leak or one i could not install by hand or take off with a wrench, sometimes I can just turn it a 10th of a turn to remove and then the rest by hand. I have been changing oil and hand tightening filters since the 1970's with many different cars.
Hand tighten the filter and you will not have any issues taking it off....you can feel it seat after some experience. My car does not leak oil or burn it so that I notice between changes, I usually go 12 months or 5000 miles depends on how much I drive it. Everyone has their experience, it's not a complex procedure, oil changes.

Quick Reply: Honda oil filter cap wrench fail?