S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Hondata IMG

Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hondata IMG

For those who have the Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket (IMG), and have had your car dyno'd since having the IMG installed, can you please tell me what power gains you achieved?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no gain there.. simply a reduction in the impact of heat.. you may have less loss from heat and timing retard.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Feb 3 2006, 01:29 PM
There is no gain there.. simply a reduction in the impact of heat.. you may have less loss from heat and timing retard.
Ummm...going to disagree with you. There are some hp/tq gains that are achieved by the reduction in intake temperatures. I don't have the exact figures yet, because testing is still going on, but initial results have proven 5whp gain.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Also, if you go to Hondata's site, they state:

"Hondata have developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. This and bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the head to the intake and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power."

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

Their statements are not false...and I will have the dyno graphs to back them up.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Feb 3 2006, 04:23 PM
Also, if you go to Hondata's site, they state:

"Hondata have developed a special high temperature insulating gasket which replaces the stock intake gasket. This and bypassing several heat sources significantly reduces the transfer of heat from the head to the intake and incoming air giving you up to 5% more power."

http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html

Their statements are not false...and I will have the dyno graphs to back them up.
Unless you dyno your car on the same day, same dyno, with the same IAT temps, same water temps, etc. ... pre and post gasket, the results won't mean much. If possible, you should install the gasket while the car is still on the dyno to eliminate any differences due to strap down tension, tire/roller position, etc.

I never trust manufacturer claims and the dyno "proof" they provide, so I'm interested to see how your test plays out. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by shivers,Feb 3 2006, 02:47 PM
Unless you dyno your car on the same day, same dyno, with the same IAT temps, same water temps, etc. ... pre and post gasket, the results won't mean much. If possible, you should install the gasket while the car is still on the dyno to eliminate any differences due to strap down tension, tire/roller position, etc.

I never trust manufacturer claims and the dyno "proof" they provide, so I'm interested to see how your test plays out. Good luck.
I use the same dyno every time I have the car dyno'd. I had a baseline dyno done about 4 weeks ago. On the same day I had an Invidia exhaust installed and I had it re-dyno'd. I made 5whp with the new exhaust.

The IMG was installed yesterday or the day before. Intake temperatures were measured before and after the install. I don't have any data concerning the temperatures drop yet, but it was confirmed today that my S made an additional 6whp with the IMG. Dyno graphs and intake measurements will be provided to me next Saturday when I pick up the car.

Like mentioned before, I use the same dyno every time. Also, the outside temperatures, comparing this last week to four weeks ago, would be very similiar. And, the car would be allowed to idle until the engine temperature is nearly identical.

There is nothing deceiving here. The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Feb 3 2006, 03:21 PM
Ummm...going to disagree with you. There are some hp/tq gains that are achieved by the reduction in intake temperatures. I don't have the exact figures yet, because testing is still going on, but initial results have proven 5whp gain.
No, he's right. Less loss = some gain.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan,Feb 3 2006, 04:37 PM
No, he's right. Less loss = some gain.
Yeah, it's a matter of semantics.. not a power booster but stops some loss from heat. Makes a difference under some conditions, little or none in others.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Feb 3 2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah, it's a matter of semantics.. not a power booster but stops some loss from heat. Makes a difference under some conditions, little or none in others.
Ok...I don't want any arguments...or further confusion...

Are you doubting what I am stating above?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Feb 3 2006, 01:21 PM
Of course they say the gain horsepower, they trying to make money.

cdelena is right on and knows what he is talking about. You dont gain horsepower, you just dont loose as much to higher temps. And this mod wont really shows it's self until the summer time or track days. It's like the same thing as all my cooling mods in my sig, they dont gain horsepower, trust me.

Quick Reply: Hondata IMG