S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Honest opinions about those little clicks and ticks

Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinions about those little clicks and ticks

OK, my s2k is getting older day after day and truthfully, its still strong as a bull, almost 116K on everything. And its boosted..
BUT! The main reason why i am posting this thread is to get everyone's input on the good ole "click" and "tick" of the car.

**Ive gone through 2 TCT'S now and I'm fully aware of what a TCT "click" sounds like, I've heard it many many times, and right now, believe it or not, i need another TCT, I'm thinking about trying Billmans....anyway back on subject...

But, there's always that other valvy click that i hear every day and no matter what i do, i cant get it to go away.
I know you can hear valves on vehicles open and close but for my 2k, after about 80k miles(pre boost) the valve train has always been loud, well louder than when i bought it.
I go past walls or guard rails and i can just hear the constant chatter and i think to myself "not again".
Ive had my valves clearances checked by Honda numerous times and even had them check the condition of everything, they've kept the car over night and checked and checked, and sent me away with NPF (no problem found). I've also check the gaps and inspected the retainers and the valves themselves, even in the presence of my teachers at school(UTI).....everything is perfect looking?

This is my confusion to this problem....Ive had my entire top end apart looking for worn parts, metal flakes, bad valves.....ive gone through the entire car and cant find the cause...I even went through the pain and took my entire exhaust section off my car, put new gaskets and tightened to spec. just incase for some reason it could of been an exhaust leak(I have ebay header, TP, and megan 2.5 single cat back)
Now, the things i haven't checked are valve guides and to see if possibly the springs are worn? Maybe its time for a whole new valve train? I'm drawing a blank...
I'm hoping there's a member(s)/guest(s) on here that can just put some ease to this and help solve this mystery. Or share some input on maybe what would be the best thing to do.

I know i cant be the only one out there that has this problem

I hope this will not only help me but plenty of other out there with this same scenario.

Thanks, Jim.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Ive wondered the same thing my my03 has 120000 miles and not bad but has always had that little valvetrain noise which you can hear at idle and when going down little streets, guard rails, ect. My motor is in excelent shape, runs great and put down great hp numbers, its still got original TCT but has never made any tct noises. I just figured the noise was normal their are alot of parts moving inside our motors, more than alot of engines out their. But if anyone has a good answer please chime in as i am interested as well

Rob
Old 04-09-2011, 03:00 PM

When my s2 had 30k on the clock the original tct went bad literally overnight it went from quiet to sounding like a bent valve... I replaced with a modified tct from inline pro and I haven't heard another sound out of it got 61k now.. not even the slightest click/tick from start up to shut down.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These engines are known to be a bit noisy. What type of oil are your using? If you've checked as meticulously as you've said and haven't found any issues I wouldn't worry. Just drive it
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

god i wish some one could figure out how to quiet it down. My car ticks like hell all the time when im near walls or in my garage. I bought a billman tct, still makes the noise, my mechanic said it could be an exhaust leak or valves... checked both, no luck. He pulled out my plug and checked in the cylinders with a snake cam, all cylinders showed normal. I've been dealing with this for about a year now. It annoys the hell out of me. but my car is "in perfect shape".

BUTTTTTTTTTT.... my 2cents worth here... you know springs get weaker from prolonged use, and our ap1 valve retainers seem rather well... sh*tty... i believe i saw somewhere that by switching to ap2 springs and retainers the clicking sounds ceased or decreased greatly. And looking i see all of you that have the sounds have ap1's. I cant say for sure, but i know i plan to Supercharge down the road, and first thing ima do is have my engine rebuilt... i pray it fixes the sound.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM

had my car in the shop two weekends ago to a very very good tuner who was doing some basic maintenance, The car was idling and I mentioned the slight ticking and he says its the injectors we are hearing in some of these cases and theres nothing you can do about that noise. Just my .02.