S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

how to reset steering torque sensor - NO Honda PGM Tester

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real helpful there shind3, thanks.

I don't live in Singapore, that's where the car came from originally (How much do you think an S2000 costs in Singapore ? LOLOL). $50USD diagnostic tool tho... I think my rich singapore travelling butt got one on sale for $29.95, but the particular issue is this early model JDM AP1 does not seem to have an OBD port. Thanks for that scan of the manual page... maybe I can collect the rest of it one post at a time. It's not throwing a code anyway.

Just trying to figure out if I need to buy a torque sensor, an EPS computer and/or an entire rack... the local Honda dealer never sold the S2000 where I am, and they have no technical competence to service this issue. Either way, the car is RHD so I can't just buy a rack on ebay and it's crazy expensive to randomly buy parts to air freight from Japan (unless it's for my salvaged Supra).

Will try re-doing the sensor calibration again... and again... maybe my timing is off. All the reading I've done on this site and others seems to lead me to buy a new AP2 torque sensor and swap it in.... I wonder if right hand vs left hand racks have the same part numbers for the torque sensor (53101-S2A-A03) :-/
Old 01-11-2017, 08:01 PM

So I tested continuity on all the the EPS to Torque sensor connectors/wiring as well as the EPS to Motor wiring and everything checked out fine. Strange this is that the Motor side of the 2P connector A has it's wires backward versus the manual's description (Green and Red wires)...I don't know if this is because of the right hand drive configuration of this car and a manual for a US model LHD car.

I did notice that when I tested the resistance of the torque sensor's internal wiring, the middle terminal 2, PVF, that connects to the BLU/RED wire on the connector side, showed no continuity to Ground. This male connector on the sensor side should go to ground according to the manual. So I guess that confirms that I need a Torque Sensor.... and explains why the sensor calibration procedure would not complete.

To test the grounding of the middle terminal on the sensor side of the TS connection is very simple if you have a multimeter. If your sensor does not show continuity to ground, it's a big question mark that can be answered in just a few minutes. The sensor can be accessed from the top of the bay if necessary.

**Also pulled the dust cap and greased the seal, but I doubt that would have any effect on my issue (No power assist left, only assist when turning right at any speed, no shuddering when turned in either direction, right hand assist is consistent, left turn assist never occurs.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Hope you can solve this. Mine responded to the paper clip method -- but I could find the port.

The OBD2 port can be hard to find and was placed in several different locations based on RHD/LHD, market, and model year. Took me a while to find mine. Sure there isn't one? I needed a powerful flashlight and had to crawl on my back into the left footwell in my '06. Very early models show it under the right side of the dash.

I'm interested in a $50 Honda PGM tester if anyone has a source.

-- Chuck
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM

I am slowly going through the entire harness looking for any wiring issues as this car had some serious stereo work in it's past. If there is an OBD port, I will find it, but either way the car isn't throwing a code and I've already reset any codes for steering malfunction multiple times (successfully).
Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by X2board
I am slowly going through the entire harness looking for any wiring issues as this car had some serious stereo work in it's past. If there is an OBD port, I will find it, but either way the car isn't throwing a code and I've already reset any codes for steering malfunction multiple times (successfully).
Did you manage to sort this? A friend of mine has similar issues, although his fortunately has an OBD port.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:24 PM

I never found any OBD port and a fellow member advised that some models in Australia also do not have an OBD port so I assume this is normal for a 99 model from that part of the world.

I just jumped the diagnostic harness with a paper clip to allow it to enter the torque position reset mode and have done the reset procedure multiple times to no success. I have also greased under the dust cap as another member recommended. Currently I am waiting on the arrival of a used RHD model torque sensor from Australia and will replace it to see if the issue is corrected. See my post above about the wiring and continuity testing to confirm the sensor is not properly functional. Since then I have pulled the EPS fuse to completely remove the steering assist from either direction... so no more of the steering constantly trying to run the car off the road....it drives extremely heavy...like a truck... thank the heavens it only has 16" rims. I just hope this does not add any stress to the column or damage anything else. Haven't driven the car much while waiting for the used torque sensor to arrive.

As a couple side notes:

RHD Torque Sensor Part number: 53101-S2A-013

Any store bought code reader for an OBDII car will be able to read a honda and other brands with OBD ports... it doesn't need to be a Honda tester.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thunder-rush
My EPS worked ramdomly, I did everything, traced wires, measure voltage,etc. In the end, bought a EPS unit in Ebay and was done for the day.

Here is the procedure.

With the car off, and the wheel straight do the following

1. Using a paper clip or backprobes, connect PIN 9 to PIN 4 on the ODBII connector.
2. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
3. Turn the ignition switch on (II)
4. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 5
5. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release
6. The EPS Light will turn on in 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 7
7. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left
8. The EPS Light will be on for 4 seconds, when it goes out do step 9
9. Turn the steering wheel Straight, and release

now the EPS light will blink twice after you relase the wheel, within 4 seconds. then it will blink 5 times.

If the EPS light stays on, you will have to do this process again.
ANYONE KNOWS IF THIS WORKS ON AP2s as well?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

I paid my dealer $60 to reset mine, best money I ever spent, I didn't want to waste my time messing with such an important vehicle system and I know it was done right and I've never had any issues since.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having trouble getting mine reset. I have a 2001 if that makes any difference. I've searched and read the threads on S2ki and have tried the google as well. The second time that I turn the wheel to the left the EPS light just stays on. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished replacing the EPS Torque Sensor on my 2002, the neutral position learn procedure was a bit frustrating, took me and a friend 6 tries before we got it right. Just remember, you only need to move the steering wheel 45deg left (never to the right) and the second time you move it 45deg left, you don't wait for the light to go out when the wheel is straight (seems to be a slight inconsistency here). You really need to pay attention to the instructions, line by line, memorize the procedure, figure out what you did wrong when it doesn't work and try again. My friends said, if they simplified the wording in the manual, it would have been easier. You can't read the steps quick enough while you're doing the procedure. Also, why the 4 second time limits? Seems Honda could have programmed the system to wait for the user to move the steering wheel into position and hold or maybe 4s should be like 10s for us newbies.

Quick Reply: how to reset steering torque sensor - NO Honda PGM Tester