S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Immobilizer Replacement Help

Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Immobilizer Replacement Help

Hey all,
I have been getting the dreaded flashing green key light for the past few months and need to replace the immobilizer unit (MY00). How the heck do you get it out? Iv'e searched for DIYs but couldn't find any specific to S2000s. I currently have the bottom plastic piece off under the steering column but can't seem to get the top piece off to access the imm unit. Do I have to drop the steering wheel?
Hopefully this will solve my issues. FYI the car battery was replaced last weekend. This issue seems to only happen when the car sits for a couple of days....hmm? I'm confused.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I just did this this past weekend. You have to take off the steering wheel first. Remove the bottom cover, then remove the four steering column bolts/nuts in order to drop it as far as possible. Then you can remove the upper cover. Once that is removed two bolts hold the key cylinder and immobilizer in place. You have to remove them with a punch as they don't have any provisions for a socket. Seems impossible but it's not bad once you knock it loose. After that you just unplug it at the kick panel.

If you are just replacing the black immobilizer, that's only held on by 4 small screws, after unplugging the two connectors. Doing this didn't work for me because the key has to be programmed to the immobilizer, so I just swapped the entire lock and immobilizer assembly to my new ECU since I have a matching key.

If you have an AP1, I have a matching ECU, Immobilizer, and key.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

The immobilizer unit in the column is not coded, and is likely not your problem.

The codes lie with the ecu, and the key.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The immobilizer unit in the column is not coded, and is likely not your problem.

The codes lie with the ecu, and the key.
Billman, was your reply for my situation or Roel03? My issue is intermittent and both of my keys do not work when the green key light is flashing. If I let the car sit for several hours the car will start (w/ both keys). In my case do you suspect the immobilizer unit is faulty? I've read of several other Honda vehicles w/ similar issues and replacing the immobilizer was the fix. I also have the OEM alarm, could this be the issue as well?
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Dub
Billman, was your reply for my situation or Roel03? My issue is intermittent and both of my keys do not work when the green key light is flashing. If I let the car sit for several hours the car will start (w/ both keys). In my case do you suspect the immobilizer unit is faulty? I've read of several other Honda vehicles w/ similar issues and replacing the immobilizer was the fix. I also have the OEM alarm, could this be the issue as well?
Thanks!

I’m having the same issues , where you able to fix it with the replacement of the immobilizer ?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by PapiChuloNica
I’m having the same issues , where you able to fix it with the replacement of the immobilizer ?
Yes, replaced the immobilizer and it fixed the issue. Was plug and play, didn't have to reprogram anything.
Good luck!
Old 05-03-2020, 08:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello All,
Just did the swap today. The 39730-S84-A02 RFID key reader works.
As mentioned: plug it in, reconnect battery, turn key, green key light goes OFF, car will start.

IMO no need to drop the steering column although the top screw is hard to get at, it's held by 2 screws, not 4.
With enough slack in the cables you can get at the top one, you get it by disconnecting 2 gray connectors that go into the indicator/wiper switch assembly, you can see them once you remove the top cover of the column, left and right of the column.
Also disconnect the second green connector above the RFID reader and one going into the cable reel, create as much slack as possible.
I had to unzip one of the zipties used to hold a cable to some bracket, pry a small screwdriver under the clip and push the 'tail' (?) back.
(or cut it and use a new one)
Removing the steering wheel gives much more room to move around - on your back while you almost break it.

One other thing.
I was lucky to find the 39730-S84-A02 second hand on ebay for about $90 including German custom charge.
Via a German dealership it was no longer available, not at all, sold out.
As far as I know the western European Honda parts warehouse is in Germany.

And another thing.
There are people making serious money here.
I also found an ebay seller, selling the 39730-S84-A02 for... yes... 900 Euro a piece!
They still do, I found it - again - just a couple of minutes ago, they show the original Honda box with label, just search for the part # on ebay.
They claim to have sold over 10 and have more than 10 available.
What the hell did they do? Buy all the units from Honda and sell them for whatever they want?
You want one (becaue you neeeeeed one) and you're going to pay through the nose!
Hopefully those (think of bad words) are no member(s) of this community.
I'm not going to show the seller's name here.
If you read this and you know it's you: you're not a really nice person! You suck!
Some may stick up for those people saying "Yeah, that's the market, supply & demand, they are just a little smarter than you, bla bla bla"
IMO they are bad people.

Oh well...

Last edited by SpitfireS; 05-03-2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Removed a line at the end.
The following users liked this post:
s2000maniac (05-03-2020)