S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

increasing throttle response for free!

Old 07-11-2001, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default increasing throttle response for free!

I am a new member to this forum, but I have have owned Honda cars in the past and will probably get a s2000 to replace my modified 99 miata sometime soon. I currently own a CRXsi as well. One of the greatest mods to all cars I have owned as well as many of my friends cars I have modified over the years is to properly adjust the throttle cable. For those who don't know, it is the cable that attaches from the gas pedal to the throttle body. This cable almost always has much to much slack from the factory or it get loose over the years. To adjust the cable, simply start the car and let it idle. Loosen the two bolts close to the throttle body and tighten the cable until the cable gets too tight and begins to raise the idle speed. Then back off the bolt a turn or two and then make sure you have a bit of slack on the cable. I find cars usually have a few inches of slack before adjustment, but they should have about 1 inch or so of slack. This mod will greatly increase the throttle response of the car and you will find that you will not have to push the gas pedal as hard to get up to speed. I have not seen anyone talk about it yet so I though it was the best kind of mod-One that is free!Please post your results of how loose your cable is as I am curious! Cheers, GK
Old 07-11-2001, 06:08 PM
pfb

I have not seen them loose on any S2000 so far, but it's a good thing to check anyway. Likewise, check that when the accellerator is fully depressed, the throttle is completely open...
Old 07-11-2001, 07:06 PM

Good tip!

I remember someone else posting the same recommendation along long time ago in a galaxy far away.....

Yes, it's been a while. Welcome to the board.

Check out the FAQ section to a little more insight about our beloved S2000.

..And use the SEARCH Engine to help you look for specific things. There is alot of good information here.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:17 PM

thats a good tip, thanks
Old 07-11-2001, 08:45 PM
pfb

BTW, that was a chronic Miata problem...

If any of your buddies own MX-5's, do them a favor and check the throttle cable...
Old 07-11-2001, 09:43 PM
P.O.S.2000

Just a little word of caution....

Some slack is good! If you make that cable too tight, and you have a lead foot like myself, you end up with a broken cable and on the side of the road. That happened to me when I was racing this Integra in my old Celica a few years ago. Very embarrasing!

But free is always good!
Old 07-11-2001, 09:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pfb
[B]BTW, that was a chronic Miata problem...
Old 07-11-2001, 11:29 PM

I posted this up a LONG long while ago, dunno how many of you all remember me or not.

At 5k miles, mine was noticably slack, as was my sister's (SondraS2k), who was not even reaching WOT with the pedal fully depressed. In all of 5 minutes, with the use of a simple 10mm wrench, the problem was solved. You should not have any more than 1/4 inch of travel before the TB opens, but I prefer a little less than 1/5th.

If you drive your car hard (who doesn't?), this is something you should probably check every oil change.
Old 07-12-2001, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pfb
[B]BTW, that was a chronic Miata problem...
Old 07-12-2001, 10:05 AM
Sev

I just did mine, i think i left about 1/2 an inch play when not pressed.

However, i noticed that the throttle body is opening up maximum when i have my foot 95% down. With the engine off, i can hear it click open at max before the pedal is to the metal as they say.

Quick Reply: increasing throttle response for free!