S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Keys and Alarm issues for my 2005

Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys and Alarm issues for my 2005

OK, I have a 2005 which I purchased used. I do not know the complete history of the car and this is my first S2000.

I got two keys with the car that appear to be identical, along with two remote fobs.

As long as I unlock the car with a fob, there are no problems. Either key works in the ignition and off I go. However, if I lock the car with the fob and then try to unlock anything with a key, the (presumably OEM?) alarm goes off. It will go off again when I insert the key in the ignition.

(I think) if I lock the car with the key, I can unlock it with the key without triggering the alarm. (I will confirm this when I get home.)

Basically, I don't have a problem as long as I lock or unlock using the remote fob. But this can't be right?

Do I need to re-program the "chip" in the keys or is there something else?

This is my first experience with remote key fobs and an alarm system. I have already done a search of the subject on this forum, but I am still somewhat confused and want to see if I can get a quick, direct answer.

I have also downloaded the pdf for "Honda kit no. 08E51-S84-100 Security System Operating Instructions" (if that is even relevant) but I haven't studied it yet.

I would appreciate any input, even if it is just to "read the instructions" Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

that is normal with the OEM alarm on the S2000--after you unlock it with a key, it shouldn't go off til you open the door--it's the switch that controls the interior light that causes the alarm to go off,

to stop the alarm from alarming at that point, put the key in the ingition and push the little black round alarm button (should be on the lower edge of the dash by your left knee but could be anywhere along the lower dash) while turning the key to "on".

The alarm has several optional settings---one of which sets the alarm 30 seconds after the car is locked if you use a key---the control box is mounted under the drivers seat and has several switches on the outside to change the settings--the operating instructions should tell you about the options and how to set the switches to change them.

I just always use the remote to arm/disarm but I know if I lose the remote, I can shut the alarm off with the key and the black button...

here's the installition instructions for an '05 which will show you what the control unit looks like and how its mounted under the driver's seat

http://www.handa-accessories.com/S20...0security5.pdf
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboater
that is normal with the OEM alarm on the S2000--after you unlock it with a key, it shouldn't go off til you open the door--it's the switch that controls the interior light that causes the alarm to go off,

to stop the alarm from alarming at that point, put the key in the ingition and push the little black round alarm button (should be on the lower edge of the dash by your left knee but could be anywhere along the lower dash) while turning the key to "on".

The alarm has several optional settings---one of which sets the alarm 30 seconds after the car is locked if you use a key---the control box is mounted under the drivers seat and has several switches on the outside to change the settings--the operating instructions should tell you about the options and how to set the switches to change them.

I just always use the remote to arm/disarm but I know if I lose the remote, I can shut the alarm off with the key and the black button...

here's the installition instructions for an '05 which will show you what the control unit looks like and how its mounted under the driver's seat

http://www.handa-accessories.com/S20...0security5.pdf
Thanks for the response. Guess I have some studying to do.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome!!

(#16 on page 5 of the installation instructions shows the "little black button")