S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Knock Sensor

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor

Hi all, Danny from the UK here.

I have a Knock sensor problem. I have a thread over on the UK forums but not getting much luck, trying to broaden my replies see what you guys think. A couple of weeks back i got a CEL while on my way back from work, turned out it was a knock sensor issue. Now I'm not cheap and I hate buying pattern parts, but someone made a suggestion to me to buy a cheaper eBay item just to see if it was the problem. Well when i got under the car to take the sensor off sure enough it was broken in half, loads of piss balling about soon enough I had the new knock sensor in place all connected and ready for road test.

I barely pulled out of my street and the CEL illuminated again, gutted. The car got taken back to get the code re-read, turns out its the same code again. Now apparently he has tested the continuity to the sensor and there is none (I assume the diagnostic tool was used for this test), now the worrying part, I have been told it could be a problem with the wire?? Now why would the wire be damaged? Does that mean I have to start hacking into the loom to fix it? Or I am thinking maybe, could the eBay knock sensor be at fault? After all surely OEM Honda sensors are 145 quid for a reason??

I have trawled the web looking for people who have had to repair the wire to their knock sensor but even a google search always comes back to the same old threads here on s2ki that i have read over and over that just refer to changing the sensor itself.

Just to clarify, when putting the new sensor in I was extremely careful when tightening it up, battery was removed to make the ratchet and extension as straight as possible so i wouldn't damage the new sensor. I have reset the ECU myself at least twice but it made no difference, CEL came straight back on after a few yards. Diagnostic tool has been used to reset the code aswell but that didn't work either.

I'm stumped, if anyone has had a similar experience or knows what the likely problem is and has a good fix, your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Oh by the way car is an 04- AP1 F20 (UK) if it makes any difference
Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i dont know what to say except that I had the same problem as you, replaced it with an OEM honda part and the check engine light was gone. From what I have read I thought knock sensors were tuned for a specific pattern, whether it is a generic knock pattern I do not know, but i wouldnt feel confident at all using an ebay knock sensor.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey carbon blue, see now that's what I'm hoping that it's the eBay knock sensor that is the problem BUT should that keep the light on?