S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leaking - Water in Boot - Trunk (pics+fix)

Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by devilmagic
Originally Posted by ndtinker' timestamp='1367809543' post='22521535
[quote name='TW00Si' timestamp='1360776312' post='22335055']
What's a good way to remove the material that sits under the trunk lining and spare wheel compartment? Is a plastic scraper sufficient?
Dry Ice. I was able to get a few bags at Kroger awhile back for removing the stock sound deadener stuff from my Prelude. You'd probably only need one brick for the small S2k trunk. Just break the dry ice up with a hammer and pour it in the trunk. Leave it there for a few minutes and it'll start popping and cracking. I used a rubber mallet and knocked on it as it froze. It literally shatters and comes off perfectly clean! Great stuff.
Wow.. nice trick.. sorry for reviving a old topic.. I too find water in my trunk. From the looks of it this is a common issue for s2k owners. Should we have this heard and have honda do recalls?
[/quote]
Old commercial/airline trick for removing gum in carpet and all kinds of stuff was to spray freon on it to freeze and then scrap or break it up. Can't do freon now (not supposed to) but compressed air (tilt to get liquid) can do it to.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering where all this water was coming from, excellent man. Some silicone contains ammonia which can cause oxidation(rusting). A urethane sealer can be used in place .
Old 08-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Great write-up, thx for the help!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:24 PM

I'm in the middle of cleaning up the rust in my 2002 trunk due to water getting into the trunk. After removing the carpeting to expose the rust, there is a plastic type sheet/pannel that seems to be glued on to the metal of the trunk (where the plastic plugs are).

My plan was to sand out most of the rust, treat it with rust remover, then seal it with something like POR-15. However that plastic sheet is in the way. I'm thinking I need to take it off somehow, so that I can get at the rust which is underneath it. However, it seems to be glued on pretty well, and taking it off seems pretty time consuming.

Does it need to come off to remove the rust properly? How did you guys manage to take out the rust under that plastic?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 PM

I just had the same issue. Turns out that you don't need to take the rear bumper of. Just seal it from the inside!

Name:  20170528_162452_zpsm5q8wvky.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  127.1 KB

Name:  20170528_162501_zpstqvkzcge.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  133.8 KB
Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Is it okay if I drill a tiny hole in the trunk bottom, incase it fills up in the future? I had leaks that I fixed a while ago but when taking all my tools and other junk out of the trunk, I found the bottom was still wet. Taking of the lid, exposing the oem toolset, I found the bottom was filled with water! Even the toolkit was in water.

I think the leakages have been fixed, so I think its old water being there for quit some time.

Now I figure if there would have been a tiny hole in the bottom 99% of the water could have dripped out?

I think a tiny hole cant harm anything, I dont think water will come in from below the car, its quit a distance to the wheels in case of driving thru rain?

and with the toolkit and lid on top its also quite sealed from the trunk.

Has anyone tried this?
What do you guys think?

thanks

Old 03-31-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
I think the leakages have been fixed
Think is not good enough. Make sure your leak is fixed.

Remove panel to the spare tire, remove the toolkit and shine a flashlight in the trunk. Take a few gallons of water (top up) and pour it all around the top and see if you spot any leaks.

I personally fixed my leaks and then popped a small hole in the plastic "drain" piece that is below the toolkit in the trunkpan -- using a flathead screwdriver or drill.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryD
Think is not good enough. Make sure your leak is fixed.

Remove panel to the spare tire, remove the toolkit and shine a flashlight in the trunk. Take a few gallons of water (top up) and pour it all around the top and see if you spot any leaks.

I personally fixed my leaks and then popped a small hole in the plastic "drain" piece that is below the toolkit in the trunkpan -- using a flathead screwdriver or drill.
Thanks for advice!

Why did you still make a hole although you tested all leaks fixed?

Did you test the hole itself afterwards with water to see if it drains?

Do you notice any moisture or humidity in the trunk due to the hole you made?

How big did you made the hole? Like a few millimeter or bigger?

thanks again!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by simons
Thanks for advice!

Why did you still make a hole although you tested all leaks fixed?

Did you test the hole itself afterwards with water to see if it drains?

Do you notice any moisture or humidity in the trunk due to the hole you made?

How big did you made the hole? Like a few millimeter or bigger?

thanks again!
I made the hole because I wanted to be safe -- I don't get in there to check the bottom of the trunk more than once or twice a year.

I'm in California, it's garage parked, and therefore no moisture or humidity issues. I just made a small ballpoint-pen tip sized hole or two in the plastic cap at the bottom of the trunk pan. Probably too small to evacuate any water, and no I did not test drain it.

For the record, maybe 8 years ago I found a leak coming from the top of my quarter panel near the antenna hole -- I had to remove the "Molding, R Rear Windshield" (https://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-...74307s2a003zd/ ) and seal the seam of the quarter panel with RTV -- likely exasperated with clogged drain holes (which I also cleaned out).

And years later, per above, I had a leak with my new Robbins top installation with the un-riveted and unsealed) holes in the rain rail.