S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Leaks

Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Oil Cap and TDC O-Rings, vtec oil pressure switch O-Ring, TCT Peep Crush Washer, and PCV Crush washer, and oil dipstick or orings should all be in the list too
This times one billion. So many aging cars with oil 'consumption' would benefit greatly from these minor fixes. (My old dipstick O-rings were the culprit, 3/4 quart of oil per 3,000 back down to zero consumption once replaced)

The following users liked this post:
larrydavid (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Its an ap2. No need to inspect retainers. BUT! You need, NEED!!! to do a valve adjustment (its a dbw 06+). Its a known issue that these cars run lean, and exhaust valves tighten up early. You can damage the valve and head if its gets driven too long this way.

Do a valve adjustment sooner than later. Use the billman specs for valve adjustment clearances, not the factoey specs. You can find these specs with a search.
The following users liked this post:
larrydavid (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
This times one billion. So many aging cars with oil 'consumption' would benefit greatly from these minor fixes. (My old dipstick O-rings were the culprit, 3/4 quart of oil per 3,000 back down to zero consumption once replaced)
I will spend some time on a honda parts website/ s2ki forums to find the exact part numbers/ technical names for these parts and then place an order. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Found all the parts mentioned. is this the TCT peep crush Washer mentioned? ------> Honda Part No.: 90401-PCX-000
Also think I will order the three tct o rings while im at it...

Last edited by larrydavid; 02-01-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larrydavid
I will spend some time on a honda parts website/ s2ki forums to find the exact part numbers/ technical names for these parts and then place an order. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Found all the parts mentioned. is this the TCT peep crush Washer mentioned? ------> Honda Part No.: 90401-PCX-000
Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Its an ap2. No need to inspect retainers. BUT! You need, NEED!!! to do a valve adjustment (its a dbw 06+). Its a known issue that these cars run lean, and exhaust valves tighten up early. You can damage the valve and head if its gets driven too long this way.

Do a valve adjustment sooner than later. Use the billman specs for valve adjustment clearances, not the factoey specs. You can find these specs with a search.
Thanks. I don't plan on leaving the driveway until doing the valve adjustment. Just need a good torque wrench for the 8.7lb/ft torques required for that job as well as lower end torques required for some other jobs as well. im thinking CDI. Any recommendations on a good torque wrench for the lower range?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:39 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Thanks. I don't plan on leaving the driveway until doing the valve adjustment. Just need a good torque wrench for the 8.7lb/ft torques required for that job as well as lower end torques required for some other jobs as well. im thinking CDI. Any recommendations on a good torque wrench for the lower range?
You don't need a torque wrench. Just tighten with a 1/4in drive until snug tight. Don't crank down on the 10mm bolts or you'll break them especially with 3/8 drive and up. The jam nuts for valve adjustments are 14ft lbs, the tool for adjusting the valves isn't very big but you can strip the jam nuts if you tighten the hell out of them. Be sensible and again you won't have any issues or need a tq wrench.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Negative, this is NOT the washer and do NOT remove the bolt to remove this washer, only back it out enough to remove the o-ring. If you back the top one out too much or try to replace the washer, you will totally cock up your engine.

The correct washer for the 'TCT peep' aka Hex Maintenance Plug is: 15302-PE0-300

It's so very important you don't confuse the two hex bolts on the front of your engine up when working on them.

The TCT peep hole is in the picture below, and the Cam Hex Bolt is the video. Both are super easy to fix, but again DO NOT replace the Cam Hex Washer.

​​​​​​

TCT Peep Hole location
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...2265b73248.jpg