S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

LED Dash Lights

Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDog,May 12 2010, 12:52 AM
Do not use type B tall for the climate control, causes certain areas to be brighter than others (Hot spots). Use regular type B for a more even look.
    thinking about this again, but if you don't use tall B it will still not look even either (that's what happen to the OP, he didn't use Tall B and it look uneven for him too!
    the only way is to do what suzuka is doing, using the same OEM sockets with resistances, (PITA yes) but the only way to make it look even
    Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gabster,May 14 2010, 07:23 AM
    wow dude! that does looks like a LOT of work, looks good though! you used the oem sockets that's awesome, everybody else have taking shortcuts and just solder the leds directly to the board, props for the extra work.. now you can mass produce the LED with oem sockets and sell them LOL you'll get rich

and there's gots to be a way in doing the mute and ac buttons, it has been done before, maybe they have used different kind of leds? some that don't require resistors?
    Haha yeah. The only way I could do those is to find some 3mm LED's that have a forward voltage of 12 volts. They have some at superbrightleds.com, they are about $1 a peice. I wanted to just buy all those so I could just not use resistors for this whole thing, then again I would have spent over $50 just to change the color of the controls! Since these are practice ones too, im not going to spend more than what these controls are worth. I could order just a few of them to get those 3 indicator lights but I dont feel like spending $5 to wait over a week to get them. I do still have to wait on the red ones before these are completed though. At lease the backlights and the fan indicators are the most important things right now since you would see them the most. If I have a chance, ill get the fan indicators done today. I still might wait to test them though until I get my red LED's. If I tear my dash apart right now, ill still have to do it again when I get the red ones. So I might as well wait!
    Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM

i wonder if anybody has used regular non led bulbs with blue caps? wouldn't that work? (maybe looks like crap?)
    Old 05-14-2010, 07:55 AM

who knows! I feel like that would be really dim though. Our oem lights arent really bright, then if you use a different color cap it might affect the light output. I could be wrong, but I dont think it would look that good since it would be so dim. Well if I sell these things people better jump on it! Its no easy task! Also if the person who takes them wants to pay the $5 for the other LED bulbs they can always do that themself if it bothers them that much haha.
    Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,May 14 2010, 10:36 AM
    Haha yeah. The only way I could do those is to find some 3mm LED's that have a forward voltage of 12 volts. They have some at superbrightleds.com, they are about $1 a peice. I wanted to just buy all those so I could just not use resistors for this whole thing, then again I would have spent over $50 just to change the color of the controls! Since these are practice ones too, im not going to spend more than what these controls are worth. I could order just a few of them to get those 3 indicator lights but I dont feel like spending $5 to wait over a week to get them. I do still have to wait on the red ones before these are completed though. At lease the backlights and the fan indicators are the most important things right now since you would see them the most. If I have a chance, ill get the fan indicators done today. I still might wait to test them though until I get my red LED's. If I tear my dash apart right now, ill still have to do it again when I get the red ones. So I might as well wait!
    yeah man its not worth it IMO, for that and all the work your doing it would be better to get it done from DJ qube i guess..
    but if you use white backlights with the OEM green it won't look bad, blue i dunno about that
    Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 AM

So your not sure if the fan indicators would look very good blue now since the others wont be? Im trying to imagine it, but its hard haha.
    Old 05-14-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,May 14 2010, 11:11 AM
    So your not sure if the fan indicators would look very good blue now since the others wont be? Im trying to imagine it, but its hard haha.
    oh yeah blue indicators would definitely look good, what i meant to say IF you leave the green OEM indicators on there and just change the back lights, white matches better with green than blue back lights and green indicators...
    Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Ohh okay I get it. I'm thinking about doing white fan indiactors on the blue background set. Not sure if I should do that, or wait and do them in red.
    Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,May 14 2010, 12:36 PM
    Ohh okay I get it. I'm thinking about doing white fan indiactors on the blue background set. Not sure if I should do that, or wait and do them in red.
    If your not gonna change all of the indicators (mute, ac rec, and fan speed) i would just leave those stock, i don't thing ac mute rec on stock colors and fan speed different color would look good.
    Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Okay I just opened back up the climate control module. I actually can do the a/c and rec indicators! The only one that I cannot do is the mute indicator. Which is rarely on anyways. Since im here I guess im gonna go ahead and try the blue fan indicators, and probably do the a/c indicator blue also, and wait till I get those red LED's and I can do that amber one in red. Its worth a try!

Quick Reply: LED Dash Lights