S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Lifting/Differential Problems

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting/Differential Problems

Yesterday I attempted to change the differential and transmission fluid. I thought it was going to be an easy job getting the car onto 4 jack stands and draining/filling the differential and transmission fluids. But, of course 1st time car jobs never end up working like expected.

I had a really tough time getting the car onto stands with the equipment I had (4 stands, and a regular jack that wouldn't fit under the front of the car or jack points). Initially, and ufortunately, I thought there were two jack points near each of the front tires - as the owner's manual did a horrible job depicting that there is actually only one jack point (being the second one, farthest from the front tire).

Anyway, I eventually got the car on the 4 stands, but did so by lifting the front right/left at the real jack points, and placed the jack stands under the wrong (nearer to the front) assumed jack point. MY question is - other than cosmetically (bending the metal) is there any damage done to the car and it's handling/safety/performance?

BTW, got under the car... my 23mm socket and wrench didn't fit over the fill bolt on the differential. FML... all that work and I just got the transmission fluid changed. I must note though, it does shift nicely. Getting a better jack and a 23mm box end wrench.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

There are two points in the front that are reinforced. I've always jacked with the one furthest and used the one nearest to put my stand under. By jacking up the front you are also able to lift the rear of it high enough to put a jack under as well.

Or you can jack up the rear of the car by jacking from the Differential. This will lift both rear tires up at once.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the socket don't fit so you have to go for an actual wrench. I read about that before doing the job (did you read the DIY on it, might have saved you time!!).

I don't believe you have incurred any damage from doing what you did. I'm pretty sure most folks have done that before. As long as it wasn't for a long amount of time (days for instance), you should be ok. Lesson learned!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Remember, you don't HAVE to put your jack stands on the jacking points. Take a look at the rear subframe near the diff, you see those two fat tubes extending to the rear on either side of the diff? You can put your jack stands there. I'm sure you can look around and find a similarily strong point on the front subframe too. If you use a block of wood to spread out the load, you can also put the jack stand on the frame rail.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 AM

The gang is right. Harbor Freight sells inexpensive urethane pads for the jack and the stands. I jack the rear on the diff first, stand and then jack the other front corners. Or I drive the front on ramps and then each back side.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Aug 4 2010, 11:32 AM
I drive the front on ramps and then each back side.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kaneda215,Aug 4 2010, 07:41 AM
MY question is - other than cosmetically (bending the metal) is there any damage done to the car and it's handling/safety/performance?
To answer the question directly, no you did not do any vital damage to the vehicle. I've used those points several times and haven't introduced any cosmetic damage either...

If you can find a low profile jack that will slide all the way to the diff and front cross bar area of the frame (not sure what to call it off hand) it will make your life a lot easier. They can be expensive but well worth it if you have the $$. I don't have one myself but plan on getting one relatively soon.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 AM

When my car was stock height I'd jack from the front crossmember and put stands under the front jack points, then lift the rear using the diff. Now I can't fit a jack under the front bumper.

Or you can put the jack under the pinch-welded side rail, approximately under the side mirror. I use a hockey puck between the jack and the rail to spread the load out a bit more. Then jack up that side and put both jackstands under the car in the recommended locations. Repeat on the other side.

For those thinking this is a terrible idea and the car is going to break/bend/burst into flames, note that this same procedure can be done on a Mazda Miata which has much substantially less chassis stiffness. I had done it hundreds of times in my Miata and likely 50 or 60 times on my S2000.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 AM

I went in again last night and did it with a low profile jack and the correct box end wrench. The differential change took all but 45 minutes. A lot less fluid came out of the differential than I had expected?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 1,312 Likes on 796 Posts

What APPEARS to be two jack points behind each front wheel, is definitely not the case.

The rear one is the jack point. The front one is thin metal, and should NEVER be used for jacking, or a jack stand. I have seen this point of the car bend with a jack, and by a stand.

If you want to raise the car easily, drive the front onto ramps. Then jack the dif, and put the stands on the round subframe tubes, or the rear corner jack points.

If you need to pull front wheels, just put the jack under the CENTER front jack point (the jack will fit now that the car is on ramps)

Quick Reply: Lifting/Differential Problems