S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Light knocking noise

Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light knocking noise

Hey guys. So a while ago my engine spun a bearing due to low oil, and I had to rebuild the shortblock. So all that was done, and after break in I took it above 6k for the first time. Right after I got off the freeway I start hearing this light knocking sound. I tried replacing the TCT, pulled apart the vtec solenoid, examined the valves, nothing changed the sound.

As for the sound, I can only hear it during cold startups,(it rattles for a second or two then calms down) during idle(a light tick tick tick sound, about 4 times a second), and under light throttle from 2.5-4k. Under load or above that rpm I can't hear it at all. I do have a pretty loud exhaust, but the drone goes away after 6k, and I just don't hear the sound up that high.

Any idea what it could be? Keep in mind I only hear it in certain rpms, it doesn't continue to get louder past 4kish. I read about the 4th cylinder failure that these cars sometimes have, could it be that?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like piston slap, but I'll let the experts chime in... do you have any info on how the engine was put together, particularly regarding piston/cylinder wall reconditioning if any?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 PM

My crank was crowned, and new aftermarket bearings were put in for the new clearances. I don't know anything about the piston/cylinder wall. What errors in that process could have caused this?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

For example, if the shop rehoned the block without following Honda's recommendation for FRM cyl walls, they can get scored by the piston and thus increasing the clearance enough to make the piston rattle in the bore. These blocks are very picky when it comes to honing/boring over. In fact, it is difficult to find a shop that will properly deal with them.

Not saying this is your problem, but this is one scenario. A vid would be helpful

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 PM

i know i may sound stupid but it may have nothing to do with you engine it could be a heat sheild on your exhaust may have broken loose after you took it up yo speed and made an unrelated noise to your engine. cause i would imagine that your car was siting for a while, while your engine was out or your car and it rusted you heat sheild just enough
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM

I will take a video when I get the chance.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM

How much roughly would it be to rebuild? Would this be cheaper than buying a new engine? Because my tranny is still good, and I'm assuming many parts in my engine are still good also. When rebuilding they'd only have to replace the parts that are bad right?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:52 AM

So I uploaded a video of the sound. I know the quality is bad, as it was recorded with my phone.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=33lj81s&s=6

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds expensive to me.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

That almost sounded like the TCT, until you reved it. hmmm, this is a difficult situation, have you talked with the people who built your engine?

Quick Reply: Light knocking noise