S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Look to buy a used engine help!

Old 02-15-2018, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Look to buy a used engine help!

Hi recently I’ve been looking for a used engine due. Long story short I did a leak down test recently on my 03 ap1 and read 47 percent leak from cyclinder number 1 and the rest were 7-10 percent leak. It’s coming but the exhaust side. I have been considering pulling the head and inspecting but found a 02 ap1 engine locally on Craigslist. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pt...474910308.html

the seller shows the compression test and says leak down was performed and came out with good results.
I asked the seller to perform a leak down in front of me before I purchase the engine.

My main concern is about the compression the seller was able to get from the test. Are they healthy numbers? I read that there should only be a 5-10 percent variation between each cyclinder. I also read that anything below 220 is low for an ap1. But considering that this is a 16-17 year old motor with 90k on it there should show some signs of wear.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Your engine may need nothing more than lapping a valve seat. Pull head, lap valve, reinstall. Investigate first before scraping it and getting a whole new motor.

210 even across the board is very healthy. Like you heard, even is more important than outright number.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Probably just need some head work, much cheaper than getting a new engine. The head isn't that hard to take off, and there's plenty of good machine shops that can fix it. I would try doing a valve adjustment first and seeing if that helps, if it does you may have dodged a bullet. Worst case scenario, you need new guides and new valve seats and two new valves. Machine work + parts would run you around $600 R & R the head would be another $500 which is a third of what a used engine costs and you'd have a fresher head than from a used engine.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would save what you have. A used engine is more of a gamble IMO.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Your engine may need nothing more than lapping a valve seat. Pull head, lap valve, reinstall. Investigate first before scraping it and getting a whole new motor.

210 even across the board is very healthy. Like you heard, even is more important than outright number.
soonds good thank you for the advice. My main concern is that the engine I have has been turbo’d before I bought the car. I didn’t know until a month into my ownership of the vehicle. I have had the car for a while now though. Should I worry about the block have some type of damage? Have done a pressure test in my coolant system and head gasket seem fine as of right now.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Probably just need some head work, much cheaper than getting a new engine. The head isn't that hard to take off, and there's plenty of good machine shops that can fix it. I would try doing a valve adjustment first and seeing if that helps, if it does you may have dodged a bullet. Worst case scenario, you need new guides and new valve seats and two new valves. Machine work + parts would run you around $600 R & R the head would be another $500 which is a third of what a used engine costs and you'd have a fresher head than from a used engine.
Yeah I was thinking about just pulling the head and inspecting. Only thing that concerns me is that the car has been turbo’d in the past and I didn’t find out till later while inspecting the motor a month into my owner ship. so Scared that there might be some more damages. In a few hours I’m going to do a valve adjust and inspect the top of the retainers, valves, etc. or at least inspect whatever I could see. Then perform another leak down and see what that would change. I think I may just be over thinking the situation.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
I absolutely ageee with you that a used engine is a gamble. I wanted to save my engine as well. I was thinking about purchasing the used engine before seeing/hearing another leak down test of the used engine in person. And then trying to refresh that used engine while mine is in my car. But then again I may be overthinking it and go the cheaper route before any extreme measures are taken thank you
Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Originally Posted by Car Analogy

thank you all for the quick replies. I’m currently going to do a valve adjust, inspect what I could see with the valve cover off and replace the necessary gaskets. Then I’ll perform another leak down. Again thank you for the advice!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You could also do a scope of the cylinder wall appearance. Probe goes in via spark plug hole, and you can see condition of cylinder walls.