S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Low/Rough Idle Issue Resolved!!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Injectors are known to give problems once they get dirty enough. It seems once they start generating misfires, its too late to save them lomg term, cleaning will only give short term fix, and new injectors will eventually be required.

Therefore it seems the answer is not to let them get dirty in the first place. Regular use of Techron or similar quality injector cleaner. I buy case from Amazon, and use one bottle at each oil change.

Note, Chevron has two versions, very similar bottle. Fuel Injector cleaner, and Fuel System Cleaner. The injector cleaner is diluted, and cheaper. The one you can get at Costco is the diluted version. Since I only use it every 5k miles or so, I use the more concentrated version.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I just used it on mine, the system cleaner.
It's cheap preventive maintenance, I will try to make it a habit.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

for the rough low idle it's not a dirty injector causing a misfire it's more the injector spring is worn out and the injector itself is leaking when it's suppose to be closed - this will definitely not be solved by any snake oil like techron
Old 10-19-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
for the rough low idle it's not a dirty injector causing a misfire it's more the injector spring is worn out and the injector itself is leaking when it's suppose to be closed - this will definitely not be solved by any snake oil like techron
This perhaps explains why cleaning them professionally never seems to last. You send them out, they are cleaned, they work for a while, but soon same problems. Maybe they were dirty, and the cleaning helped, but the springs are worn and will never seal right. Only new injectors will solve this problem.

But do dirty injectors lead to premature spring wear? Seems plausible. In that case, not letting them get dirty in he first place would help keep engine running well, and help injectors last their full lifespan.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This perhaps explains why cleaning them professionally never seems to last. You send them out, they are cleaned, they work for a while, but soon same problems. Maybe they were dirty, and the cleaning helped, but the springs are worn and will never seal right. Only new injectors will solve this problem.

But do dirty injectors lead to premature spring wear? Seems plausible. In that case, not letting them get dirty in he first place would help keep engine running well, and help injectors last their full lifespan.
Anecdotally, I have only seen this happen on 2 out of 7 cars I watch/tend/troubleshoot. Coincidentally, these happen to also happen be the highest mileage cars, ap1s with greater than 100k miles. Also to note, in california, it's pretty hard to not find top grade fuel and all the top grade fuel, arco, chevron, shell, 76, costco, valero - they all their private labeled versions of techron so dirty fuel really shouldn't be the culprit.

However, at your suggestion of 1x/every 5k miles; it would be more cost effective to just save that $16/bottle and buy brand new injectors the minute it rears its ugly head.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Anecdotally, I have only seen this happen on 2 out of 7 cars I watch/tend/troubleshoot. Coincidentally, these happen to also happen be the highest mileage cars, ap1s with greater than 100k miles. Also to note, in california, it's pretty hard to not find top grade fuel and all the top grade fuel, arco, chevron, shell, 76, costco, valero - they all their private labeled versions of techron so dirty fuel really shouldn't be the culprit.
What about mine with 52k miles?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder if this would fix my low rpm stumble/stall. I've replaced the MAP, IACV, tinkered with TPS sensor and still no fix.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 AM

Try and report back here!
Old 07-16-2020, 09:00 AM

Hey guys
Nothing new ? I have the exact same thing as Zoukieee in his video.
Car is idling at 1000rpm, I rev it, engine drop to 800 and vibrate then back to 1000
Sometimes, in traffic 1st gear slight throttle, the car makes me dance in my seats, it's shaking like CRAZY. If I put throttle to the floor at this moment the car don't go, I must press the clutch and everything go back to normal, I can ear when the car will start doing shit. Is this a misfire ? NO CEL

No problems in higher rpm, map sensor sounds good with his zip tie, and if I move him when car is idling rpm don't change
4 coil packs are between 1190 1200 so pretty close ( maybe work well at wot and doing shit at low rpm ? )
The car don't drop rpm that low like it's iacv
Old 06-04-2021, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similar issue and just fixed it by replacing my pcv valve.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

my old one would still rattle (which is what its supposed to do), but it was a bit gummed up compared to the new one i put in. hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.