S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Messed up the TCT Install

Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Messed up the TCT Install

Hi,

We've all read and heard many times, careful, the pin might fall out and drop into the engine. Well having watched countless videos and read just as many guides the actual unit came out a thousand times easier than anyone made out, like without any effort what so ever.

Low and behold everything came out except the pin itself, that part that actually pushes and makes the tension. So what are the next steps? Has it dropped into the block? Do i dare install the new one and drive it (im pretty certain not to).

I'm going to need a mobile mechanic i think, can anyone rescue me with some advice here as i need the car for back and too to work.

I thought the pin was still in there as i could feel it and was about to set to it with some long nose pliers, but having taken a photo with the flash on it looks as though it is just what the tension pushes against which in turns pushes against the chain.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

which TCT? are you sure the pin was there in the first place and under tension? did you remove the old tct? compared?
Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

By "pin" do you mean the safety clip when installing the OEM or Billman TCT or the actual TCT push rod?

That is, did you mess up the disassembly (removing the old TCT) or re-assembly with the new one?

-- Chuck
Old 07-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

yea, what happened?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Just to clarify- your original TCT in the engine (the one you're replacing) will have NO pin in it. Once removed, the new unit will have a pin that needs to be removed thru the access port on the front of the engine.

Did you drop the pin in the engine from the new TCT?

​​​​​​​darcy
Old 07-07-2017, 12:11 AM

Sorry, in my panic writing the post i wasn't very clear.

So i was replacing the OEM TCT with the Ballade sports one. I undone the 2 x 10mm bolts holding the TCT to the engine, as i held it to feel where i would clamp it up to remove it like i've seen in many videos it literally fell out without any effort at all, so wasn't able to be delicate and precise.

Everything came away except the main push rod itself. I've looked under the car and in the engine bay and it definitely didn't fall out. I then thought it was still in there but having took a photo of the hole i realized it was what the TCT pushes against.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Got all these parts? Photo stolen from another thread on this topic.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 AM

So yeah, basically the piston has fell down into either the gully where the chain is or lord knows where. Oil pan? When you put your finger inside where the TCT goes there's a hole directly below, i assume its fell down there.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davers
So yeah, basically the piston has fell down into either the gully where the chain is or lord knows where. Oil pan? When you put your finger inside where the TCT goes there's a hole directly below, i assume its fell down there.
oh that sux... not sure how its possible unless it was somehow stuck to the guide nipple and as you pull it it out the came apart.
I just replaced mine last week and the piston the did 'spring' out once out of the engine.

Anyway its a oil pan removal time unless you want to try some luck with magnet on a fishing line down the tct hole
Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Might be able to fish it out with a magnet, if not front cover off job.i would not start the engine..
pic on post 20 here.<edit>
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...-760315/page2/

Quick Reply: Messed up the TCT Install