S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Misfire code. Oil on Spark plugs

Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire code. Oil on Spark plugs

hello I recently purchased an 05 ap2 s2000 with 120k miles. Started getting a misfire code one day. Misfiring at idle and shooting oil out of the exhaust. Loss of power and had to get it towed home. Spark plugs have oil at the tips on cylinders 2,3,4. I changed the valve cover, connector clips, coil packs, seals, spark plugs all new oem, but nothing seems to help. My buddy is saying it might be the piston rings and would have to take it in to a shop to get it looked at and possible rebuild or swap. Not sure what to do from here. I appreciate all the input thanks
Old 03-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

which cylinder is the misfire in? move components to different cyinders to see if they follow or stay. for example if its cylinder 1, move that plug to cyl 2, the coil to cyl 3 and the injector to cyl 4 and see if the misfire follows to a diff cyl or stays in 1... if it stays on the same cyl its usually an internal issue... if it follows a component than replace said component and recheck.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

The oil was coming out of the exhaust or the spark plug seal?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by outeiroj
which cylinder is the misfire in? move components to different cyinders to see if they follow or stay. for example if its cylinder 1, move that plug to cyl 2, the coil to cyl 3 and the injector to cyl 4 and see if the misfire follows to a diff cyl or stays in 1... if it stays on the same cyl its usually an internal issue... if it follows a component than replace said component and recheck.
it’s multiple misfires in 2,3,4. I put in all new spark plugs, coils, and seals but it continues to happen. I even changed the entire valve cover because of some threads being stripped. I’m thinking it’s time for a rebuild or swap.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
The oil was coming out of the exhaust or the spark plug seal?
coming out of the exhaust. Little specks were shooting out onto the floor. I replaced spark plug seals and still happened. Also the cams look beat to crap. I think it had a recent head gasket job done but very poorly.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

So you are finding the ends of the plugs oil soaked from the combustion chamber. Usually oil on the spark plug ends takes a while to manifest into misfires after putting in new plugs, unless you have a massive amount of oil seepage into the combustion chamber. If it happens that fast you may have a blown head gasket and/or warped head from overheating.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
So you are finding the ends of the plugs oil soaked from the combustion chamber. Usually oil on the spark plug ends takes a while to manifest into misfires after putting in new plugs, unless you have a massive amount of oil seepage into the combustion chamber. If it happens that fast you may have a blown head gasket and/or warped head from overheating.
yea that makes sense. What a relief that would be. Even a warped head is a good scenario vs having to rebuild. I’m hoping that’s the case. Thanks for the advice and input I appreciate it.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

How did this all unfold? How long did you own it before these symptoms started up? Did you have an overheating event during your ownership? Were the original plugs newish - or were they old plugs?

I hate to be suspicious, but it would not be the first time a seller threw in a new set of plugs to mask a problem like this. Was it a private sale, or was it a dealer?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
How did this all unfold? How long did you own it before these symptoms started up? Did you have an overheating event during your ownership? Were the original plugs newish - or were they old plugs?

I hate to be suspicious, but it would not be the first time a seller threw in a new set of plugs to mask a problem like this. Was it a private sale, or was it a dealer?
I’ve owned the car for almost a year now. I’ve only put about 3k miles on the car as I don’t drive it every day. It over heated on me once actually because of a coolant leak. I turned the car off immediately, had it towed home, and replaced the two leaking hoses. Then the misfires started happening one day while I was driving around town. The car started to misfire and lose power. As for the original plugs they look newish. It was a private sale. Not sure where to go from here but I’m guessing I should take the car in for inspection. Could it possibly be the valve stem seals?? Either way I just hope the block is good still.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:51 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Deybangz
It over heated on me once actually because of a coolant leak. I turned the car off immediately, had it towed home, and replaced the two leaking hoses. Then the misfires started happening one day while I was driving around town. The car started to misfire and lose power.
This is key information. I'd say zeroptzero might be on the right track, (see post above). How long after the car overheated did you start getting the misfires?

Last edited by rpg51; 03-19-2019 at 03:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Misfire code. Oil on Spark plugs