S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

mobil 1 high mileage?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
I believe all Mobil 1 oils are synthetic.
High Mileage oil runs a little thicker than the same weight in the standard M1, cSt @ 100ºC of 12.1 for the H/M and 10.1 for the standard M1 10/30

ROD
Apologies. I must have confused the brands since yesterday I was researching specs for multiple brands like Motul, Liqui Moly, Pennzoil and indeed Mobil 1. It's pretty good that they offer high mileage in a variety of viscosities and are all synthetic.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not all Mobil oils are synthetic. In the true sense of the term anyway, many are group III synthetics and it is hard to tell what is what. A change of tune from Mobil over the years as they are the ones who argued with Castrol, in court, about the definition of the term synthetic.

Cheers,

Guy
Old 10-05-2018, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Opie Oils
Not all Mobil oils are synthetic. In the true sense of the term anyway, many are group III synthetics and it is hard to tell what is what. A change of tune from Mobil over the years as they are the ones who argued with Castrol, in court, about the definition of the term synthetic.

Cheers,

Guy
Interesting! I appreciate Motul on the other side of the pond who state "100% synthetic" on their well known expensive oils like the 8100 and of course mighty, race proven, recommended by Spoon Sports 300V line
Old 10-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Even Motul are at it, take the 8100 Xcess 5w-40 100% full synthetic, is in fact made from a group III hydrocracked base stock. With synthesised additives they can claim it is 100% synthetic, though in the true sense of the word it is not, as it is not a group IV pao base stock. The term synthetic is as about as grey as it can get these days, usually the best question to ask is "what kind of synthetic".

Cheers,

Guy
Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 AM

Even Motul are at it, take the 8100 Xcess 5w-40 100% full synthetic, is in fact made from a group III hydrocracked base stock. With synthesised additives they can claim it is 100% synthetic, though in the true sense of the word it is not, as it is not a group IV pao base stock. The term synthetic is as about as grey as it can get these days, usually the best question to ask is "what kind of synthetic".

Cheers,

Guy
What about their 8100 X-clean?
Old 10-05-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 277 Likes on 200 Posts

Here in Germany, not one Mobil 1 oil is labeld "vollsynthetisch"= Fully Synthetic. All are labeld "SHC technologie" or "HC synthese".

This is according to german law. Only oils that contain mainly Group IV (PAO) and Group V (Ester) oils are allowed to be labeld "Fullsynthetic" here.

All the Group III Hydrocrack Synthetic oils are labeld "Synthetic tehcnology" or similar here.

Chek Mobil 1 German site and read the labes on the Oil bottles:

https://lubes.mobil.com/Germany-Germ...s_mobil-1.aspx

https://lubes.mobil.com/Germany-Germ...bil-super.aspx

Nevertheless, Mobil 1 produces very good oils.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I do run Mobile 1 in my cars ... BUT ... people get way to carried away with oils. Blackstone labs says most of them run conventional oil, after all the testing they do. You get longer life from the oil with synthetics, but dont believe too much of snake oil salesmen that try to convince you that M1 will destroy your car because Amsoil is better (Amsoil is famous for snake oil salesmen so I am picking on them).

If you use a decent brand of oil and change it when it should be, then you are not going to end up with bad results. I like being able to miss my target for an oil change by a bit and not worry as much, so synthetics are nice for that.

As for the high mileage stuff, don't really know if it will make any difference. As mentioned, if regular oil were BAD for a high mileage engine, then would see warnings for it. And if the high mileage stuff is better, why not just make that the normal formula? Kinda reminds me of the Excedrin VS Migrane Excedrin. They are 100% the exact same thing in a different box, for the same price :P
Old 10-08-2018, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
What about their 8100 X-clean?
At a glance, same story. A lot of synthetics are group III based.

Cheers,

Guy

Old 10-08-2018, 01:29 AM

At a glance, same story. A lot of synthetics are group III based.

Cheers,

Guy
I see. Well either way that oil (and X-cess) are really good and I will continue running them if I don't upgrade to the 300V 5W40 soon

Cheers
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Matchbox
Here in Germany, not one Mobil 1 oil is labeld "vollsynthetisch"= Fully Synthetic. All are labeld "SHC technologie" or "HC synthese".

This is according to german law. Only oils that contain mainly Group IV (PAO) and Group V (Ester) oils are allowed to be labeld "Fullsynthetic" here.

All the Group III Hydrocrack Synthetic oils are labeld "Synthetic tehcnology" or similar here.

Chek Mobil 1 German site and read the labes on the Oil bottles:

https://lubes.mobil.com/Germany-Germ...s_mobil-1.aspx

https://lubes.mobil.com/Germany-Germ...bil-super.aspx

Nevertheless, Mobil 1 produces very good oils.
I wish this was a more generic standard for Europe or even better globally, it would make working out what is what a lot easier. Other than Germany where they have tight rules oil brand marketing people have become masters of smoke and mirror descriptions of what the oil is. Some, just don't mention what it is at all.

Cheers,

Guy

Quick Reply: mobil 1 high mileage?