S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

More TCT Analysis / Questions

Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

interesting.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Post a video clip.

Gave it a few days to make sure it wasn’t just oil working it’s way though, but OEM filter and good fluid levels and a little bit of driving and I’m actually getting far worse (louder) noise. Here they are, louder than I was previously hearing. Getting the whizz on the first cold start, and a high pitcher whine that (might) be worse after it’s warm. Some loud chain noise it sounds like too. Whine seems to be coming from TCT, consistent with revs.

Thanks for your help, I’m getting worried.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

There is no loose chain noise there.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:23 AM

There is no loose chain noise there.
So what are these noises I am hearing? The harsh rattle on startup is not TCT? Does the whining sound like a tight chain?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

The grinding sound on startup is starter after run.

Any other noises are not specific enough to determine via the web.

As stated before, the chain may have suffered damage from overtightening.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:47 PM

The grinding sound on startup is starter after run.

Any other noises are not specific enough to determine via the web.

As stated before, the chain may have suffered damage from overtightening.
****ing enraging if that is true. I never walked in the tensioner, only briefly installed the Ballade. This is pretty outrageous
Old 03-29-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

After rereading this thread , im wondering if there was another underlying issue since you said youve only drove it 200 miles since buying it.
Any history known on the car??
Old 03-29-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
After rereading this thread , im wondering if there was another underlying issue since you said youve only drove it 200 miles since buying it.
Any history known on the car??
Well now it’s been a thousand or so. And I’ve driven enough to know that this noise is new, and now much worse. It’s very clean and well kept with history, 70k always garaged, bone stock.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

How loud is the "whine", hard to tell relative due to youtube video. But a lot of sports cars that ive driven (my two s2k, BRZ, 86, fry, Miatas, old Triumph roadsters) all have had a similar whine to them. The S2k ive noticed have been on the louder side. Both of my S2ks have had it and from what I can gather its perfectly normal. They aren't loud whines however, like I kinda have to listen for it, but I'll notice it during startup or low RPM driving. I'm curious if you are just not used to the sounds these kinds of cars make.

Please take what I say with many grains of salt. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word and have only owned this car for a total of 1 year. However I generally try to think of things differently and I know this car specifically makes a lot of sounds that sound like somethings wrong, but are actually quite normal.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by xxyion
How loud is the "whine", hard to tell relative due to youtube video. But a lot of sports cars that ive driven (my two s2k, BRZ, 86, fry, Miatas, old Triumph roadsters) all have had a similar whine to them. The S2k ive noticed have been on the louder side. Both of my S2ks have had it and from what I can gather its perfectly normal. They aren't loud whines however, like I kinda have to listen for it, but I'll notice it during startup or low RPM driving. I'm curious if you are just not used to the sounds these kinds of cars make.

Please take what I say with many grains of salt. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word and have only owned this car for a total of 1 year. However I generally try to think of things differently and I know this car specifically makes a lot of sounds that sound like somethings wrong, but are actually quite normal.
Thats what I assumed it to be as it was hardly audible before, but now, I’ve noticed it’s much louder. Very audible when window is down at lower RPMs, but not idle. I have an EVAP smoke machine, so I will run it through exhaust/intake and check for leaks but I think this is coming from the block... I’ll post updates as I trace this out

Quick Reply: More TCT Analysis / Questions