S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

MY07 with Berk HFC. Tips on turning off P0420 CEL

Old 06-06-2020, 04:42 PM

Received 1,320 Likes on 998 Posts

A spacer adds space. One cat requires a separate spacer to be added to achieve a certain amount of space. Another cat comes from its factory with that same amount of space built in. An amount of space that is beyond what is normal, and is equivalent to a normal cat with a separate spacer added. That would qualify as a spacer in my book.

If a spacer is welded in its not a spacer?

If you wanna be pedantic about it you can say the Berk offers the equivalent space as a spacer without needing a spacer, since the space is built in to the design.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:12 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Old 06-07-2020, 06:48 AM

Received 1,262 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm Gernby FlashPro tuned but have no idea what waveform the ECU ignores in the tune.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't consider something that's an integral part of the cat to be a "spacer" but rather something screwed between the cat and sensor like these.

-- Chuck
No worries, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything.

My car is an stock tune MY07. So, a HFC sets a CEL for me.

There definitely is some additional exhaust gas stench from this HFC as compared to a stock CAT.

Again...common HFC's cost ~$250. So I'm not expecting much out of them except for the high flow aspect.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Ballade Sports HFC and while it never threw a CEL installed as-is, there was always a "pending" code that eventually showed up a few hundred miles after I cleared all codes (which I was told in layman's terms that it was a essentially a CEL without the actual light). While I don't remember for sure what the code was, it was something related to the secondary O2 sensor voltage. (P0137 I think, but irrelevant for this post) Basically the car knew the O2 sensor was messed with.

When going for a smog check in the good ol' CA, I forgot about it and they failed me immediately upon seeing this pending code even though no actual light was present.

I eventually bought the right angle defouler and pointed it towards the front of the car as Billman suggested in hopes it would fix it, but it actually threw a real check engine code (with a light on my dash) within 200 or so miles. After a whole debacle about the Smog tech guy noticing the right angle defouler installed and having my car go to the state Referee for a complete look over, I eventually had to resort to re-installing the OEM cat to get it to pass. I've now accepted the fact I'll be swapping them out every 2 years.

I would highly suggest getting a flashpro as one of your upgrades down the line if you can't get the defoulers to work with your car. I couldn't get the car to play nice with the sensor on the car no matter what defouler I used (90 degree, another spacer, or a combination of both), so I just turned the secondary O2 sensor off entirely so the light will come on during an actual problem. Not to mention the sweet lowered VTEC grunt if you get it tuned (mine is at 3800RPM). Even if you don't want to go through the hassle of a custom tune, the off the shelf tunes from Hondata brings it down to 5500 RPM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kram in a Cab
I have the Ballade Sports HFC and while it never threw a CEL installed as-is, there was always a "pending" code that eventually showed up a few hundred miles after I cleared all codes (which I was told in layman's terms that it was a essentially a CEL without the actual light). While I don't remember for sure what the code was, it was something related to the secondary O2 sensor voltage. (P0137 I think, but irrelevant for this post) Basically the car knew the O2 sensor was messed with.

When going for a smog check in the good ol' CA, I forgot about it and they failed me immediately upon seeing this pending code even though no actual light was present.

I eventually bought the right angle defouler and pointed it towards the front of the car as Billman suggested in hopes it would fix it, but it actually threw a real check engine code (with a light on my dash) within 200 or so miles. After a whole debacle about the Smog tech guy noticing the right angle defouler installed and having my car go to the state Referee for a complete look over, I eventually had to resort to re-installing the OEM cat to get it to pass. I've now accepted the fact I'll be swapping them out every 2 years.

I would highly suggest getting a flashpro as one of your upgrades down the line if you can't get the defoulers to work with your car. I couldn't get the car to play nice with the sensor on the car no matter what defouler I used (90 degree, another spacer, or a combination of both), so I just turned the secondary O2 sensor off entirely so the light will come on during an actual problem. Not to mention the sweet lowered VTEC grunt if you get it tuned (mine is at 3800RPM). Even if you don't want to go through the hassle of a custom tune, the off the shelf tunes from Hondata brings it down to 5500 RPM.
I'll flash pro the car eventually.

Just got the 90 deg defouler today. Hopefully get some time this week to install. Might take another few days for the ECU to be "ready" for test.

Again, I have a stock catalyst sat on a shelf. I just don't wanna swap it in/out.

Last edited by B serious; 07-16-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Small update here.

I tried the 90 degree CEL fix. But it doesn't fit facing the front of the car with the Berk TP.

The Berk built in extender causes the O2 sensor end of the CEL fixer to hit the trans mount.

Billman...did I misunderstand what you meant by "facing front"?

Should the CEL fix face to the back of the car so that the sensor portion of the O2 sensor faces front?

Pictures would help, eh?
Let me get those....