S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need advice on Brake Fluid

Old 01-15-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
I'l painting my calipers this coming weekend and plan to add the stainless brake lines and speed bleeders while I'm at it. Thought about changing brake fluid too, but don't know what is best. I plan to use this car as a daily driver so I don't want to compromise drivability, but I would like to get a higher boiling point for amy mountian drives or autocrosses I may choose to due. Any recommendations? I've heard that some of the high performance brake fluids require more maintenance, such as bleeding and flushing more often, if so is there a magic brand that will give me better performance across the board, or am I better off sticking with stock fluid? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2001, 10:53 AM

There has been excellent threads on this. Try a search. Here's a thread to start: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=293.

Don't know if the FAQ section at S2KI has anything on it as well.
Old 01-15-2001, 11:44 AM

Check the links mentioned above by Prolene. There was very good info on this subject posted on the past.

The problem with some hi-performance brake fluids is that they absorb moisture. If you are the type that bleeds the brakes every two months and after events this is no problem.

Since I don't like to deal with brakes all the time I went with a conservative fluid by Valvoline. Pretty good specs and the price is even better. You could also try ATE Racing Blue.

The stuff from Motul is very good but you will need to bleed the brakes a couple of times during the year even if you don't track the car.

Money no object, try the Castrol SRF.
Old 01-15-2001, 01:18 PM

Thanks,
I think I'll try the ATE. I appreciate the info and the links.
Old 01-15-2001, 02:46 PM
pfb

I use ATE-Blue.

My understanding is that while it offers higher wet/dry boiling points like many race fluids, it has slow moisture absorbtion making it good for street use.

Many other "racing" fluids have great temperature characteristics, but are designed to be bled out frequently, like every weekend, due to their moisture absorbtion characteristics.

Castrol LMA is another good choice, although not as heat-resistant as the ATE.
Old 01-16-2001, 08:58 AM
J R

I am also using the ATE Super Blue and Amber fluids. I use one then the other when bleeding to be able to see when I have purged the old fluid out.

I have had good luck with ATE so far and do use the car on a frequent basis. Not every day, but whenever the weather will cooperate I use it on my drive to and from work, about eighty miles per day. Again, no problems so far.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a question. My brother is heavily into racing and in his circle a lot of people recommend the Ford Heavy Duty Dot3 brake fluid. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular fluid?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2001, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
[B]I have a question.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:37 PM

I've read that the Ford fluid is good as long as you totally replace it before every event. It adsorbs moisture too quickly to leave in the system for any length of time.

For street/track use I'd also recommend the ATE fluid, either blue or amber (same stuff, different color). I've sucessfully used it on some very, very hard braking circuits.

The Motul and Castrol SRF get very good reviews too, but I'm not going to pay $75 a liter for the SRF.
Old 01-16-2001, 06:14 PM
pfb

Originally posted by Mikey
... Castrol SRF get very good reviews too, but I'm not going to pay $75 a liter for the SRF.
I'd pay the $75 bucks if it lasted, but my understanding is that the SRF absorbs moisture quickly, like most other racing fluids, making it a poor choice for street-driven cars with fluid changes less than every few months...

Of course this is all rumor and speculation

Quick Reply: Need advice on Brake Fluid