S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

need help please! (starting/signal wire issue)

Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help please! (starting/signal wire issue)

ok car all of a sudden stopped starting....i had a starter that had less then 50k miles on it and its oem honda so i almst new it was not the starter. i replaced it anyway with a brand new unit car still wont start. it WILL start if i push start it. I checked the large 12v wire that goes onto the starter and it has power, however the SIGNAL WIRE does not.
i rigged up a wire that goes directly from the starter signal wire input on the starter side and i then connect it directly to the positive terminal on the battery and the car start no problem. its not battery clutch bypass etc it is 100% something to do with the starter signal wire, i checked all fuses have swapped all relaays around etc have used a friend s2000 start button and still nothing. what would cause the starter signal wire to be dead ? please help me out guys i need to fix this problem as my ghetto rig is def only temporary.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like the solenoid is not working. Check if there's power on the wire that connects the solenoid to the starter motor.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by franky
It seems like the solenoid is not working. Check if there's power on the wire that connects the solenoid to the starter motor.
the starter works fine.. its not the starter. i put a brand new starter in it today and to begin with the original one was also good. it has something to do with the signal wire
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM

Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 PM

thank you but im not the best with elec schematics, i also cant see it that good. my helms manual is at home m in tampa for school
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM

think the pgm-fi main relay thing could have anything to do with it ?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM

hmmm... i think its your clutch pressure switch... loop it with a paper clip... should start
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by crank
thank you but im not the best with elec schematics, i also cant see it that good. my helms manual is at home m in tampa for school

power from the battery goes thru No41 (100amp) fuse to No42 (40amp) fuse to the ignition switch from there it sits on the normally open side of the starter cut relay waits for the relay coil to be pulled in. once its pulled in the power goes to the signal of the starter.

thats how the power gets to the signal wire but you still have the other side of it.

power from the battery goes thru No41 (100amp) fuse to No42 (40amp) fuse to the ignition switch from there it goes to the No3 (7.5amp) fuse then it sits on the normally open side of the engine start push button. You press the push button and the switch shuts and goes the the Starter Cut Relay coil. That is how the coil gets its + side. The negitave side still needs the gound. From ground G401 it goes to the clutch interlock switch which is normally open until you close it by pressing in the clutch pedel. The gound then goes to the - side of the coil causing the Starter Cut Relay to then close sending power to the starter signal.

So first is there power on the orange wire on the Starter Cut Relay?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by donaldmejr
Originally Posted by crank' timestamp='1373250367' post='22652091

power from the battery goes thru No41 (100amp) fuse to No42 (40amp) fuse to the ignition switch from there it sits on the normally open side of the starter cut relay waits for the relay coil to be pulled in. once its pulled in the power goes to the signal of the starter.

thats how the power gets to the signal wire but you still have the other side of it.

power from the battery goes thru No41 (100amp) fuse to No42 (40amp) fuse to the ignition switch from there it goes to the No3 (7.5amp) fuse then it sits on the normally open side of the engine start push button. You press the push button and the switch shuts and goes the the Starter Cut Relay coil. That is how the coil gets its + side. The negitave side still needs the gound. From ground G401 it goes to the clutch interlock switch which is normally open until you close it by pressing in the clutch pedel. The gound then goes to the - side of the coil causing the Starter Cut Relay to then close sending power to the starter signal.

So first is there power on the orange wire on the Starter Cut Relay?
thanks so much!!!! i left my dmm in my friends trunk yesterday i will report back asap!! im trying to solve this while preparing for tests, school has gotta come first il prolly get back to a reply tomrw night or mod afternoon!! where exactly is the starter cut relay ?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 PM

i dnt knw if this helps but the three main relays on the fuse box i swapped the two of them around( i have plastic window no third one for defrost) and also swapped them with the under hood relays.. so i knw there good. im not sure what or where the start cut relay is. i was also intersted in looking at these two plugs to the right of the floor a/c blower vent..i believe one is a PGM-fi unit and the other is just infront of it but not sure what it is. i am not that great with electrical but determined to figure out whats going on !

Quick Reply: need help please! (starting/signal wire issue)