S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help with these CEL codes

Old 11-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with these CEL codes

Hey guys. I just bought my S about a month ago and my check engine light has been on ever since I got it. I've lurked around for a bit on here and read that a 'steady' light is bad but not a potential catastrophe in most situations. But a 'blinking' light is really bad. Well, my light is steady until I come to an idle. Then it blinks about every other time it comes down to idle. I went to Auto zone and had the dude pull the codes for me. Here's the codes he got:

P-0300
P-0301
P-0302
P-0303
P-0304
P-1259
P-1399

He said all these codes were "times 2" Upon further questions, he told me each one showed up twice on his screen.

Is that normal?
How worried should I be?
What do these codes mean?
What parts or sensors am I going to have to buy?
How do I go about fixing them?
Should I park my car immediately till I can fix it?
What would you recommend I get fixed first?
Any recommended parts/brands?

My S is my DD but I live close to work so parking it won't be an issue.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 11-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

http://engine-codes.com/obd-code-list/

Misfires as far as the eye can see, stop driving it. 1259 is a vtec failure.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
http://engine-codes.com/obd-code-list/

Misfires as far as the eye can see, stop driving it. 1259 is a vtec failure.

x2

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/659930-misfire-thread/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/867...ave-a-misfire/

read, read, read.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 435 Likes on 359 Posts

The cause is either ignition related, or valvetrain related. 1st step is to check the spark plug tubes. Shine a light down there and look for oil in the tubes. If there's no oil pull the plugs and inspect the electrodes.

If the plugs look fine and the gap is to specs, then it could be the coil packs need to be replaced. If plugs look bad and the gap is out of the service limit(.044"), replace them. If there's oil in the tubes, then the seals in the valve cover need to be replaced.

Start with the spark plugs first, go from there. Get the Oem platinum plugs, they work great and have long life.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by young and dumb
Thanks for the quick response and the link. How do I go about fixing misfires. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but still have a lot to learn obviously.

But my vtec pulls hard in all gears though...

Why is that?

read those links, they're all about fixing misfires. i'm not trying to be a ass, but they really do cover all the basics. there are a lot of factors that could contribute to your misfire, so you'll have to start with the most likely then work your way from there. definitely quit driving it until it's resolved.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM

also, what year and how many miles?? checked your oil lately?

most of the multi cylinder misfire i've seen have been a cylinder low on comp, or in desperate need of a valve job. but as already said, start with the basics. plugs, pulling coilpacks, etc... don't forget to fit a comp/leakdown test in there too, especially before you start buying tons of parts.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM

It's an 03 with 175,000(and change) on the ticker. I've already bought NGK platinum plugs and will be installing tomorrow. I also noticed a very small oil leak/drip on the front end of my head gasket

My oil is full synthetic Castrol gtx, I think, can't exactly remember. It was expensive I know that much. It's 5,000 miles old.

I just read both those links thoroughly and feel like I'm pointed in the right direction. Thank you.

Don't worry about being an ass, no offense taking bro
Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 PM

Also, I'd like address the other code I got. If you don't mind.

I have a 1259, which apparently is a vtec failure. But yet the vtec pulls hard in all gears. I know this bc my stupid ego wouldn't let me pull off the gas until that teggy was eating my dust(from a dig to 130) a few days ago. Anyway, aside from me abusing an already injured car, why do you think this code showed up but vtec is still working?

Could it be that it was a previous problem and the ECU wasn't reset?

The vtec in 6th gear doesn't pull as hard as the other gears, but I still feel it pull. Could that be the issue?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by young and dumb
Also, I'd like address the other code I got. If you don't mind. I have a 1259, which apparently is a vtec failure. But yet the vtec pulls hard in all gears. I know this bc my stupid ego wouldn't let me pull off the gas until that teggy was eating my dust(from a dig to 130) a few days ago. Anyway, aside from me abusing an already injured car, why do you think this code showed up but vtec is still working? Could it be that it was a previous problem and the ECU wasn't reset? The vtec in 6th gear doesn't pull as hard as the other gears, but I still feel it pull. Could that be the issue?
I know that low oil level and coolant temp will stifle Vtec operation, but I'm pretty sure they won't throw a code. You may have an intermittent failing Vtec solenoid, but someone more versed will have to chime in on that one, especially concerning misfire/Vtec operation relatedness. If it were me, I'd chase down those misfires, fix them, clear codes...then start worrying about Vtec stuff. Checking your oil level in ap1 models is really important. Mine is an 03 and it burns a lot. Easily a qt every 1k, and more if I drive it hard.