S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Fuel Pressure Regulator Design

Old 06-19-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel Pressure Regulator Design

Fellow S2K owners- I would like to get your feedback on a new Fuel Pressure Regulator design. Mostly a technical discussion, pros, cons, etc. This is designed to be the first and last FPR you will ever have to buy. The regulator will be called the Synchronic FPR. The regulator will embody the following features:

*Direct Bolt-On to the factory of aftermarket fuel rail with no additional fuel connections
*Piston-based actuator without a diaphragm to fail
*Will support over 1000+ HP
*Interchangeable bypass orifices to accomodate upgraded higher flow fuel pumps
*Adjustable static fuel pressure via a turn screw
*Chamber dedicated to 1:1 ratio
*Boost-only chamber for a total of 12:1 ratio
*Infinitely adjustable rising rate ratio from 1:1 to 12:1
*Retail fuel pressure in rail, so that you don't have to prime the fuel pump on the next startup

From an application perspective, here are some things you can do:

*Turbo/Supercharged, will raise the fuel pressure enough for up to 10 psi of boost
*Will allow you to trim back larger injectors and still add fuel as a ratio of boost
*NA- Can be used to accomodate a larger fuel pump or larger injectors
*NA- Can be used to simply fine tune the air/fuel ratio
*Nitrous- rigorous enough to sustain direct injection of Nitrous to richen mixtures under nitrous conditions
*Standalone Fuel Injection- Can be used a 1:1 ratio regulator to fine tune your EMS, or use some ratio (ie 2:1) to increase fuel atomization or extend the capability of your injector size.

What are your guys thoughts? Feedback? Thanks?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Attention, this thread is ONLY for input and opinion and feedback on the device alone. Under no circumstances can there be mention of how to get one or any representation of the like. This will contravene the site rules for such activity.
Thank you.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

How does it hold fuel in the rail after shut down? The supply line from the pump would still allow the rail pressure to slowly leak back to pump. Unless there is a check valve I am not aware of in the fuel pump module.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:46 PM

How about an integrated fuel gauge or some kind of plug and play outlet that would allow for a gauge to hook up.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 PM

Slow- Similar to the factory FPR, it retains some fuel pressure for about 24 hours before slowly leaking past the bypass orifice and going to 0 psi. But the real key is maintaining enough volume in the rail (it does this) so that you can startup immediately after you turn the key. Many aftermarket FPR's leak enough volume that you either have to prime the pump, or you have to crank the engine over several times before it can fire up. I do think that there is a check valve in the pump module, I've seen patent literature that references this.

Sebring- This can probably be integrated into a universal application, but the choice was either an integrated adjustment to change the rising rate ratio or an integrated threaded port for a gauge, the ratio won. Also, an integrated gauge wouldn't clear the hood. If you take a look, that is an industrial pressure sensor to the left and it couldn't even go straght onto the rail and clear the hood.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like it would work nicely with basic FI set ups like the Comptech and Vortech SC and allow some flexibility for larger pulleys or just fine adjustment.

Nice work!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 AM

AusS2000- Originally it was designed for basic FI setups up to about 10 psi of boost.

I was tired of seeing people buy 1:1 regulators for the sake of being "bolt-on" while they ran lean, detonated and blew motors. I also couldn't stand seeing the approach of putting a regulator downstream of the factory one. My tuner friends also kept telling me that they would always see standard 12:1 regulators going very lean right before they went into boost as a function of the diaphragm not responding fast enough, so I thought to eliminate the diaphragm altogether.

Ultimately, I feel that you shouldn't have to buy a new regulator, or get rid of the one you have everytime your system matures, going from NA to FI to EMS.

This one unit will also fit almost all Hondas without requiring different part numbers.