S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New head?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New head?

Hey guys I was checking to see if anyone had any suggestions on the situation that I'm in. I am the original owner of my S2000 which I purchased when they first released it so yeah it's been 11 years now. I've never had to replace anything on the car other than one radiator, brake pads, tires, and 2 calipers; other than standard maintenance when it was time.

Back in 2009, I upgraded to a SOS Sport Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel and had a Vortech V3 SCi trim Supercharger installed and everything ran great. The engine has 160,000 miles on it.

Until about a month ago after 2 years with the charger on, I was driving and the car all of a sudden just stalled and died. I checked everything and found that the supercharger pulley seized. Called Vortech and they were nice enough to replace the unit for a brand new one under warranty because the one i sent in had an impeller touchdown.

(This is where the problem begins) I also noticed that when i had completely removed the supercharger from the engine that i saw a crack in the supercharger lateral mounting plate that connects to the two front head bolts of the engine on the head. You really couldn't see the crack from the side when the charger was mounted on until the bracket was off. Then i started looking closely at the engine head itself and that's where the nightmare begins. I could see a hairline crack on the head that goes around the hole that holds the head bolt in place that connects the head to the short block. I put my finger over the hairline crack to feel around it and applied a little pressure by wiggling it with my hand like pinching it. The freaking thing just falls off and it looked like a smooth cut all the way around it. I'll get some pictures of it today and post it up.

But I'm guessing I'll need a new head? If your looking at the engine. The two bolts that are in the front that holds the head to the short block. The left one is perfectly fine but the right one is broken on the head. The bolts are fine it's just the hold that it goes into before it starts to thread on the short block.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Hey guys I was checking to see if anyone had any suggestions on the situation that I'm in. I am the original owner of my S2000 which I purchased when they first released it so yeah it's been 11 years now. I've never had to replace anything on the car other than one radiator, brake pads, tires, and 2 calipers; other than standard maintenance when it was time.

Back in 2009, I upgraded to a SOS Sport Clutch/Lightweight Flywheel and had a Vortech V3 SCi trim Supercharger installed and everything ran great. The engine has 160,000 miles on it.

Until about a month ago after 2 years with the charger on, I was driving and the car all of a sudden just stalled and died. I checked everything and found that the supercharger pulley seized. Called Vortech and they were nice enough to replace the unit for a brand new one under warranty because the one i sent in had an impeller touchdown.

(This is where the problem begins) I also noticed that when i had completely removed the supercharger from the engine that i saw a crack in the supercharger lateral mounting plate that connects to the two front head bolts of the engine on the head. You really couldn't see the crack from the side when the charger was mounted on until the bracket was off. Then i started looking closely at the engine head itself and that's where the nightmare begins. I could see a hairline crack on the head that goes around the hole that holds the head bolt in place that connects the head to the short block. I put my finger over the hairline crack to feel around it and applied a little pressure by wiggling it with my hand like pinching it. The freaking thing just falls off and it looked like a smooth cut all the way around it. I'll get some pictures of it today and post it up.

But I'm guessing I'll need a new head? If your looking at the engine. The two bolts that are in the front that holds the head to the short block. The left one is perfectly fine but the right one is broken on the head. The bolts are fine it's just the hold that it goes into before it starts to thread on the short block.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Well I got the pictures but it won't let me post them up.