S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech Rebuild Time - Feedback on options/$$

Old 04-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vortech Rebuild Time - Feedback on options/$$

I have a Novi 1220 v2.

I noticed some extra noise coming from the unit, it runs and looks fine however i'm 99.99% sure it's time for a new bearing.

Vortech is quoting me $390 for the rebuild, $782 for the 1220 to 1200 with rebuild.

Anyone else have some feedback on pricing, other reliable rebuilders, etc?

Thanks

Note:
I'm on a 4.5" pulley, AP1. I don't see myself going past 350hp. It's a fun car to drive and going from 5.0 to 4.5 has pushed the fun/safe factor to the edge, so I don't think I will change much, however 4.25" is the smallest I will ever consider.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:46 PM

Shitty, nobody rebuilt a S/C before?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SC recently died. Sent it in to Vortech, and everything was toast, bearings and gear case was seized. It was going to cost over $1400 to rebuild it, or I could get credit for the seized unit and buy a brand new unit for just under $1400. With tax it ended up being just a little bit more for the brand new unit.

Mine was a Vortech V3 SCi on a 4.25 pulley 8psi, and I got 75k miles out of it before it seized. I got the brand new V3 in Si trim on now, and it's a night and day difference with how quiet it is now compared to how it was before it seized, which makes me think that as the unit get's louder the closer it is to needing a rebuild.

The price you are quoting sounds about right if it's just replacing the bearings, but you need to send it in for them to know for sure what it needs. Then you can weigh your options. It might be worth trying to get credit for that one you have now for a brand new unit, if you have a lot miles on it already...
Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The prices look right. I sent my blowers to Vortech twice. One for a 1220SL major rebuild (covered under warranty) and another for 1220SL to 1200 oil-fed exchange.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by s2kcrick
My SC recently died. Sent it in to Vortech, and everything was toast, bearings and gear case was seized. It was going to cost over $1400 to rebuild it, or I could get credit for the seized unit and buy a brand new unit for just under $1400. With tax it ended up being just a little bit more for the brand new unit.

Mine was a Vortech V3 SCi on a 4.25 pulley 8psi, and I got 75k miles out of it before it seized. I got the brand new V3 in Si trim on now, and it's a night and day difference with how quiet it is now compared to how it was before it seized, which makes me think that as the unit get's louder the closer it is to needing a rebuild.

The price you are quoting sounds about right if it's just replacing the bearings, but you need to send it in for them to know for sure what it needs. Then you can weigh your options. It might be worth trying to get credit for that one you have now for a brand new unit, if you have a lot miles on it already...
In my case I had bearing noise on cold startup. After the car warmed up it went away.

I then drove amount 500 miles, pulled over and I could hear a higher pitcher noise coming from the blower. So I cut the pulley on the spot and the noise went away.

I was hoping that it might be the tensioner bearing or some other bearing in the Accessory system however once I chopped the S/C belt, car went silent.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by s2kcrick' timestamp='1461827413' post='23950864

In my case I had bearing noise on cold startup. After the car warmed up it went away.

I then drove amount 500 miles, pulled over and I could hear a higher pitcher noise coming from the blower. So I cut the pulley on the spot and the noise went away.

I was hoping that it might be the tensioner bearing or some other bearing in the Accessory system however once I chopped the S/C belt, car went silent.
That high pitch noise is exactly what i heard right before my blower seized. It was a very high pitch and would get much sharper just on a slight rev up. When you cut the belt, the blower is basically turned off. Do you notice that your engine turns over easier now since cutting the belt? I assume that you can still turn the pulley, so the gear casing is probably not seized. How many miles do you have on your blower?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by soulicious
The prices look right. I sent my blowers to Vortech twice. One for a 1220SL major rebuild (covered under warranty) and another for 1220SL to 1200 oil-fed exchange.
So you had two different blowers that you sent in, or 1 blower that you sent in twice, the last time replacing with a brand new oil fed?
Old 04-28-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U' timestamp='1461869822' post='23951506
[quote name='s2kcrick' timestamp='1461827413' post='23950864']

That high pitch noise is exactly what i heard right before my blower seized. It was a very high pitch and would get much sharper just on a slight rev up. When you cut the belt, the blower is basically turned off. Do you notice that your engine turns over easier now since cutting the belt? I assume that you can still turn the pulley, so the gear casing is probably not seized. How many miles do you have on your blower?
[/quote]

Yes the car stalled the first time I tried to start the car cold. A bit of a backstory but I was at the Dragon, drove 3000 hard miles, on the last day I started the car in the morning, car struggled, stalled. Waited a min and started it again. Your right, the car was hard to crank (I do run Aem however it felt more then that)

Head back to Canada, got about 3/4 of the way and could hear it get progressively worse, stopped at the gas station and it was making a high pitch metal to metal noise at idle now, took a knife to the belt and here we are.

No clue on mileage, bought it used but I had it for around 40,000 miles
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soulicious' timestamp='1461867455' post='23951463
So you had two different blowers that you sent in, or 1 blower that you sent in twice, the last time replacing with a brand new oil fed?
I should have been more clear. Yes, one blower, the 1220SL, went in twice. The 1200 has been solid even with slight overspinning.