S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

New Polished Valve Cover

Old 08-31-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polished Valve Cover

Well I got this in the mail yesterday, so I raced home after work and let the engine cool down for an hour.... it was 73 degrees here and that shortened the cooldown time.

Here's some info for those of you that might want to get a polished cover.

Ignition coils, place them in order that they came out (front to back).... Just My Preference.

Everything went smooth on install until I went to pull the cover off. but after a couple minutes of looking (2003 model) I noticed that the wires that were in the way were connected to a metal bracket attached to the firewall. I pushed on the plastic clip below it and slid it off. From that point I was able to move the wires down and back so that the back section of the cover would lift off..... It was a tight fit, just like I thought it would be

When swapping out the valve cover gasket, it was a bit tough to get it free of the stock cover, but I just tugged a little all the way around until I found a spot that would lift a bit - it was smooth sailing from that point. Of course placing the polished cover back on was just like taking the old one off... tight.
A little patience goes a long way in this step

When placing the 5 bolts that hold the valve cover on, hand tighten them, and then use a torque wrench to tighten all the bolts in the correct order 1-2-3-4-5 to 8.7 lbs-ft.
Over tightening these could strip the threads (aluminum) and also cause the gasket to leak.

All the bolts on the cover should be torqued to 8.7 lbs- ft. (cover, ignition coils, and sparkplug cover hex bolts) Per the 00-05 Service Manual!

On the re-installation of the ignition coils: make sure to start at the back by the firewall, insert the IgCoil 3/4 of the way and then attach the electrical connection.
push it the rest of the way down and hand tighten the bolt, then move forward to the next one, and so on.

I attached the rest back where it came from onto the new cover. the initial sandblasting of the cover before polishing makes the oil dip stick area rough, so don't expect it to slide in smooth like it used to. Push it in as far as you can and
with the palm of your hand thump it in with medium force.
this is one tight seal lol

from there I checked that everything was re-connected and started the car up to check for oil leaks. Now after the 5 cover bolts were torqued down, I had wiped the rim all the way around the base of the cover so it was nice and clean. If any leaks were gonna happen, it would be noticeable!!! no leaks

I shut her off and got a new clean microfiber towel & wiped off all the fingerprints
and smudges. then took her for a drive. came back and check it again... no leaks.

here's some pictures of my engine:

I hope someone will find this useful
Old 08-31-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Nice.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clean........
Old 08-31-2005, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I'm obsessed with my car,
so I keep the dust off of everything I can reach.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

The coils are all the same length. You can mix n' match. No need to mark what cylinder it came from.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Real sharp looking,nice job. The grounding kit looks cool too.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 PM

Nice. Does your engine bay get hotter now?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 AM

Sweet intake If I had to do it all over again that's what I'd get!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Real sharp looking,nice job. The grounding kit looks cool too.
What kit is that? What's the box part for? Sorry for the uninformed questions...

Bay looks super clean!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:27 AM

Slows2k - Thanks for the clarification, I edited my original post. Must have just been my perception that they were different lengths.

Red Wires and the Red Box - I bought this mostly as engine dressing, but Sun Auto claims some slight performance gains HP / TQ. 10 / 10 I think. I seen a 2.5 MPG increase on the first tank of gas i ran after install, but since then I've disconnected and reconnected the negative battery cable quite a few times while trying to clean up and organize the wires better - for a nicer appearance. Mileage is slowly coming back up again as ECU is learning I think.

Wires:
- Hyper Ground System.

Box:
- Hot Inazma Votage System - Stable votage throughout the car, good for cars with lots of extra stereo stuff, and it's supposed to improve gas milage by up to 20%... but the jury's still out on that

The K&N FIPK Gen II FIPK I love the Sportscar growl this thing provides. there is a slight power gain too - measured at the wheels according to K&N.

Quick Reply: New Polished Valve Cover