S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Newbie: Just bought my 02' s2k BUT...

Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uPaDaTe: MISFIRE ISSUE FIXED!!! WOOOOO!!!! Turns out i had to order and install 4 new coil packs (AP2 backwards compatible version). Put those in and plugged in my newly purchased OBD-II (bluetooth), cleared the misfire codes, and voila! no more misfire!

BUT NOW A NEW CODE POPPED UP saying my IAC valve is causing problems!
I have already taken it off and cleaned it, but i think i need to clean it more thoroughly this next time. I'm hoping its not a wiring issue because i have no idea how to read any sort of diagnostic machine for measuring electric currents.

Hopefully after i do this i will have solved all my little engine gremlins (wishful thinking)
Old 07-19-2016, 09:53 PM

OMG, SUCH A NEWB MISTAKE!!! I can't believe I didn't check the cabin air filter! That thing was absolutely disgusting *barf* so clogged up with hair, lint, dirt, and debris that it turned black! I cleaned it out and re-installed, now the car seems like it's finally running smooth, and the IAC error code went away! I'm surprised the Dam car even started with how bad this air filter was *facepalm*
Does anyone have suggestions as to which brand air filter I should buy? Carbon activated? Price?

7-20-16: looks like the idle fluctuation issue is back when I started it up this morning :'( maybe need to clean out another filter...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazykoreankid
OMG, SUCH A NEWB MISTAKE!!! I can't believe I didn't check the cabin air filter! That thing was absolutely disgusting *barf* so clogged up with hair, lint, dirt, and debris that it turned black! I cleaned it out and re-installed, now the car seems like it's finally running smooth, and the IAC error code went away! I'm surprised the Dam car even started with how bad this air filter was *facepalm*
Does anyone have suggestions as to which brand air filter I should buy? Carbon activated? Price?

7-20-16: looks like the idle fluctuation issue is back when I started it up this morning :'( maybe need to clean out another filter...
I don't think the cabin filter has an impact on engine performance.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:40 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^
Levi
Old 07-23-2016, 05:52 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm sure the cabin air filter has no effect on the engine as well.

S2000 cabin air filter is ten bucks on Amazon and several other on-line sources.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Well apparently I have either a short ram air intake or a PRM air intake. No heat shield or box. I have no idea how to clean the internal filter of this thing. I've Google and looked at multiple forums. Nobody knows to to clean this intake filter.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 PM

finally got around to replacing the adjustable lower ball joints (P1 buddy club $400) and got the car off the jack stands!
PROBLEM: this actually had the opposite impact i wanted. I thought it would give my tires MORE clearance from the fender wells, BUT it actually gave me LESS clearance! :'(
Now every time i take a slight turn or go over a small curb, my tires rub the wheel wells... sigh... I'm asking a buddy to sell me his stock AP1 front springs so i can install them.

Also, I'm still having idle issues; it's definately the IACV. After all the money I've dumped into fixing this thing up; what's another $200 am i right *rolls eyes*
progress is looking good. After i get my iacv replaced i think it will finally be running smooth. *crosses fingers*
Old 04-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I enjoy reading about your journey with the S2k. You might find that you can learn a lot working with a friend on your car or other cars. My first experience was helping a friend pull, rebuild, and reinstall the engine in a Toyota Landcruiser around 1974 or so. I learned a lot on that project.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazykoreankid
finally got around to replacing the adjustable lower ball joints (P1 buddy club $400) and got the car off the jack stands!
PROBLEM: this actually had the opposite impact i wanted. I thought it would give my tires MORE clearance from the fender wells, BUT it actually gave me LESS clearance! :'(
Now every time i take a slight turn or go over a small curb, my tires rub the wheel wells... sigh... I'm asking a buddy to sell me his stock AP1 front springs so i can install them.

Also, I'm still having idle issues; it's definately the IACV. After all the money I've dumped into fixing this thing up; what's another $200 am i right *rolls eyes*
progress is looking good. After i get my iacv replaced i think it will finally be running smooth. *crosses fingers*
You can fix your IACV for free... Lots of discussion on how to clean it. I think its pretty unusual for it to be broken.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

i think some good advice is if there was someone there to help you check your work.

everyone was a beginner at some point, and it seems that you are a beginner, and for that reason someone should be checking your work.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Newbie: Just bought my 02' s2k BUT...