S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No more clutch =/

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more clutch =/

So I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure the clutch died on me yesterday while rolling through town. When I push the clutch it just goes straight to the floor. I had to limp her home floating gears ><
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM

check the cable and fluid pressure..
Old 07-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadycat
So I'm guessing, but I'm pretty sure the clutch died on me yesterday while rolling through town. When I push the clutch it just goes straight to the floor. I had to limp her home floating gears ><
check your clutch fluid level?

your cmc could be leaking, or the slave/cmc itself went bad.

I don't think a bad clutch disc would give the pedal a feeling of zero tension and have it go straight to the floor. Sounds like hydraulic pressure is an issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks, I was thoughtless before posting that.

I remember a few weeks ago I was having issues with it shifting, so I checked the fluid and it was low as hell.....so I am about to go out and bleed the system to see if I hit a air pocket. I'll keep ya posted on the progress.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Originally Posted by Shadycat' timestamp='1374592136' post='22682150
check your clutch fluid level?

your cmc could be leaking, or the slave/cmc itself went bad.

I don't think a bad clutch disc would give the pedal a feeling of zero tension and have it go straight to the floor. Sounds like hydraulic pressure is an issue.
Well, I bled the system and it's still not engaging. How can one trouble shoot to see if the slave/cmc took a nose dive? I found an alright clutch kit for next to nothing, but I don't want to swap it out just to have the same issue.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

See if the Slave cylinder nipple is Hooked up to the cutch fork. If the slave cylinder misses the clutch fork, then the clutch pedal will go to the floor with no effort.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM

Having pressure in the pedal isn't a clutch disc issue from what I can remember. it's most likely the hydraulics or MC/SC. not sure if the S is using a cable too but in the mustang 99-04 they used a cable and the cable snapping was a viable possibility.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Having pressure in the pedal isn't a clutch disc issue from what I can remember. it's most likely the hydraulics or MC/SC. not sure if the S is using a cable too but in the mustang 99-04 they used a cable and the cable snapping was a viable possibility.

I seen a cable of some sorts when I was under there, I'll jack it up a bit more and try to trace it to see if there's a snag or break in the line.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadycat
Originally Posted by superstuddc27' timestamp='1374689766' post='22684862

I seen a cable of some sorts when I was under there, I'll jack it up a bit more and try to trace it to see if there's a snag or break in the line.
it's a hydraulic system. there is no clutch cable. Basically, if you are bleeding the system and no there's no air present, then it's , by process of elimination, an issue with the CMC and/or slave. unless your hydraulic lines are spewing fluid of course. You're losing fluid because the CMC is most likely leaking, it was a common problem with s2's. You can check for sure by checking the back of the clutch pedal by the firewall for fluid.

If it is leaking, replace BOTH the cmc and slave for good measure.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Are you sure you bled all the air out of the clutch slave cylinder?

My clutch master cylinder was leaking at the piston behind the pedal. (I've seen posts saying is normal, just change the clutch fluid every few thousand miles.) But I left it unchecked for over a year, and had almost no fluid left. I had to pump the pedal several times to build up enough pressure before each shift, just to get home.

I ended up unbolting the slave so i could point the bleeder straight up to get all the air out. Pedal felt great after that.

Quick Reply: No more clutch =/