S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Power/Electricity When Trying To Start Car

Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No Power/Electricity When Trying To Start Car

Sometimes when I try to start my car, specially after an initial start it will not have any power. Randomly after a duration when I key in and turn it will get power and startup fine but this can be anywhere from 3-15minutes.

I recently removed the battery to charge it up because it was dead after I put the battery back I it wouldn't immediately start up, it kept cranking but after a few attempts it was fine. After that point is when I started experiencing the complete and random electricity/power issues.

Could I have blown/damaged a fuse? Is so which? Otherwise what could be causing the random power outages?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

It not a fuse. Once a fuse goes out, its out. Its literary a section of wire that is sized to burn out if too much current goes through it. No wire, no juice. A fuse can't be intermittent.

Now, lets clarify what you mean by randomly no electricity. Like none, zero, no dash lights, no light above mirror, no open door chime, like totally dead no juice? Or more like push start and nothing happens, but otherwise stuff lights up?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why was the battery dead to begin with? How long was it dead for? Batteries don't always fully recover after being drained, especially if left for longer periods.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
It not a fuse. Once a fuse goes out, its out. Its literary a section of wire that is sized to burn out if too much current goes through it. No wire, no juice. A fuse can't be intermittent.

Now, lets clarify what you mean by randomly no electricity. Like none, zero, no dash lights, no light above mirror, no open door chime, like totally dead no juice? Or more like push start and nothing happens, but otherwise stuff lights up?
Gotcha, and fully dead, no dash lights, none, zero. The car will not have any power.

Originally Posted by honda4eva89
Why was the battery dead to begin with? How long was it dead for? Batteries don't always fully recover after being drained, especially if left for longer periods.
That's a good question, i'm not entirely sure why the battery died to begin with, I think I might of left a light on or something. It was dead for maybe a night, I took it to an Autozone and had it charged up and they said that my battery was good. When the car does have power and cranks it starts right up no problem.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

What if its:

1 Battery died because left something on

2 Battery cable not reconnected properly after removed for recharge at AutoZone

3 So now you have a new issue, unrelated to 1. Sometimes the cable makes a good enough connection to start car, sometimes its too loose and everything is dead

Check the battery terminal connections and anything else you touched as part of pulling battery for recharge.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this issue with my RSX. Next time this happens, wiggle the power and ground of the battery and see if it instantly gives you power. If it does, you may have corroded power/ground wires.