S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

no power/response at low rev

Old 08-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no power/response at low rev

Maybe someone here has some ideas as to what this is..

So, under normal, day-to-day driving, the car seems to have 20hp after upshifting or just being at low revs, like it's bogging severely. The throttle pedal simply doesn't seem to make a difference (although there is still resistance) if I dig in further.

Sometimes it goes away after being in gear for a few seconds, or when I'm "up and moving" like on a freeway, and sometimes it's just always like this and I feel like I have the slowest/least responsive car on earth.

Now, VTEC still engages, it revs freely to 9K, and the problem isn't only under hard acceleration (which is technically impossible anyway when it happens). When it does "connect" the power feels about right.

Notes:
1. As relates to this issue, the car is stock, 68K miles. I JUST had a valve adjustment, didn't change anything. All fluids are good.
2. A rather extreme clutch was put in about 5K miles ago.
3. I know how to drive, I know how the car should feel, I know how to use the new clutch just fine, etc. etc.

What causes this? Is this the MAP sensor issue? Spark plugs?

Could it still be related to the clutch somehow? It doesn't slip at all at WOT/high revs/etc.

Thanks for any advice!

<Edited to remove that it happens after engaging gear/upshifting, since I don't think it's directly related anymore, that just coincidentally puts the revs low so its more noticeable.>
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the vtec selenoid, and a map whack probably couldnt hurt, if it does fine in vtec then either the map or iac valve. just a suggestion, most of what i know of the s comes from this sight though. it could even be a misfire in a cylinder. sorry but im still new to all this. just suggesting
Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Ok, so after analyzing it some more in the past few days, here's what I can add. I'm heading to the shop tomorrow anyway, so hopefully someone can have some pointers for me.

I now think it is unrelated to shifting. That just so happens to put me at a lower rev, where the lack of power is (obviously) more prominent.

It basically feels like the throttle pedal doesn't do anything if I push it further in, like it's gone "soft" somehow (not that there's less actual resistance, mind you).

What causes this? Can someone confirm this is the MAP sensor, because most accounts of that seem to be at high rev, high load situations. This is just casual driving, and it's bad enough that I can barely keep up with traffic.

Please help.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Thats you not having torque...

Your going to have a hard time keeping up with traffic unless you rev it to 6k or more. AP2's are better for city driving since they have more torque and more available power much earlier in the powerband.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 AM

No, that's not what it is. Thanks though, I'm very familiar with S2000s. In the 4 years I've had this car, I've always been able to keep up with traffic without going into VTEC (what would Honda have been thinking if they designed a car that weak?), this is a definitely problem that's been developing recently.

Also, as I said, it's not always like that either, so it's not like I randomly get torque from time to time.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:25 AM

Have you adjusted your throttle cable in the past 4 years you've owned the car? If not then you need to do so.