S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Notchy Transmission issues...

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Transmission issues...

Just recently purchased a BB 07 S2000, and have been noticing some notchiness with the transmission. When it's cold (40-50 degrees out here) I've noticed while decelerating it is difficult to pull OUT of gear. I've done a bit of searching around on the forums and the suggestions seem to be checking the clutch fluid (level is fine, looks a bit cloudy further in). The master cylinder looks clean and doesn't appear to be leaking.

I've also already replaced transmission fluid (Honda MTF), diff fluid and oil (who knows what the Ford dealer that had it put in, the crappy filter was scary enough).

Any idea what I could look into further to see what might be the deal?

Also possibly worth noting, the clutch engagement point is pretty far out. I took this as normal as all of the 4-5 S2000s I looked at and test drove engaged at about the same place (and all felt a bit notchy). This could ALSO be partially Im just not used to the car yet. Had an 07 Civic Si before that had some notchiness which was generally resolved by doing tranny fluid changes once a year.

Notchy Transmission issues...-w3jk1lh.jpg
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 PM

My transmission is also notchy when the weather is cold. As it warms up, it shifts like butter. If your clutch fluid is cloudy, try replacing it as well as your tranny fluid. If Honda MTF isn't working for you, try Amsoil. But the BEST thing you can do to reduce notchiness, is to learn how to shift the car. Try going into neutral before going into the next gear.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. It does improve once it's warmed up, though it still feels a tiny bit notchy (and the tranny seems to take a while to warm up). I've been double clutching it in the cold mornings to lower the stress on it, it's just much more noticeably notchy than my old Si (bought it new, owned it up to 73k miles). Even the Si people sang the praises of the Amsoil fluid but I wasnt able to get any in time for the change (Recently bought a house and dont have all the tools / jack stands to do everything myself yet, so had to rely on using a friend's place). When you say "learn to shift the car" are you referencing something specific to this car or just manual transmissions in general?

Guess I'll plan on doing the clutch bleed. Everyone seems to sing praises of ATE Super Blue but I'm not sure where to locate it locally.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,487 Posts

suck out the old clutch fluid and replace with new using a turkey baster type of tool. Check the clutch rod clearance by the clutch pedal, it may need to be shortened up if there is too much clearance. Honda tranny fluid is great just change it once a year before it gets notchy again. A heavier shifter knob helps a bit too, and if you are able to re-grease the shifter as per the Honda TSB it helps out as well. If you can do all of those items you should find things shifting better.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM

Is there a guide for the clutch rod adjustment somewhere? Wasn't able to locate one.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadeDream
Is there a guide for the clutch rod adjustment somewhere? Wasn't able to locate one.
I thought someone had posted pics on this before.

But start by pushing the clutch pedal with your hand lightly until you feel resistance without actually disengaging the clutch, then release the pedal - that distance is the play that you have in the pedal. If the distance feels a bit long 1-2 inches, then the clutch rod can be lengthened to close up that clearance. There is a locknut just behind the clutch pedal on the end of the rod that goes to the master cylinder underdash. Use a 12mm box end wrench to loosen the locknut, once loose the rod can be turned by hand to lengthen or shorten it. Turn the rod clockwise to lengthen and close up the clearance, or counter-clockwise to shorten and increase the clearance. If you go too far there won't be any play in the pedal, if it is too short you get excessive play. I would shoot for a small amount of play, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so, max. Of course if you find that the clearance is overly tight to start with then loosen it up a bit. Once you get the clearance adjusted tighten the locknut with the 12mm wrench. Re-check the clearance after a it of driving to make sure it hasn't changed.

It's hard to give exact measurements I'm just going by what I've seen on my car in the past, if you don't like how the adjustment works then just go back and re-adjust it. I wouldn't close it up all the way, you want to have a bit of clearance IMO , if you go too tight then the clutch can slip so keep a small bit of clearance. hth.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM

The s2000s close gearbox needs to be shifted precisely in order to be smooth. I still can't say I shift smooth 100% of the time but im still getting used to it. Here's a DIY with pictures. It's pretty easy to do. Careful not to lengthen or shorten it too much as you can mess up the clutch. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=16&t=192881
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM

My transmission is quite notchy, even with new MTF fluid. I'll probably end up changing fluids soon, as well as SB ATE clutch bleed.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Couple things to remember

1. This tranny communicates a lot because the shifter connects directly to the tranny
2. Your Si had linkage, so you didn't feel nearly enough to know it was 'notchy' or not when compared to the S
3. The tranny needs to warm up and if you shift slowly won't be notchy.

Suggestions
1. Slow your shifts down
2. Let the tranny warm up
3. Change tranny fluid and grease shifter
Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Couple things to remember

1. This tranny communicates a lot because the shifter connects directly to the tranny
2. Your Si had linkage, so you didn't feel nearly enough to know it was 'notchy' or not when compared to the S
3. The tranny needs to warm up and if you shift slowly won't be notchy.

Suggestions
1. Slow your shifts down
2. Let the tranny warm up
3. Change tranny fluid and grease shifter
Don't forget to bleed the clutch... that was my problem.

Quick Reply: Notchy Transmission issues...