S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Official Found a Rattle Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody mentioned the metal plate that allows access to your fuel pump! that will give you a nasty buzz! just removing it and adding some foam in between the two metal pieces will make it go away.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by keemaca,Nov 10 2009, 05:50 PM
my hard top rattles around the latches i found it is from the metal making contact ..i originally had the softop so im not sure if this is normal ..does anyone with a hardtop have this isue..?
Did you replace the strikers (brackets that the latches grab hold of) with the stronger hardtop ones when you installed the hardtop?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by dhayner,Dec 8 2009, 01:45 PM
Did you replace the strikers (brackets that the latches grab hold of) with the stronger hardtop ones when you installed the hardtop?
no i havent replased them didnt know i needed to ..where's the cheapest to get these..? and will these completely eliminate the problem.?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My '08 has a pretty bad rattle in the middle of the dash near the base of the windshield that is RPM dependent (6K+). I don't really mind rattles all that react to bumps that much, but rattles that are engine related SUCK BIG BALLS! It really makes it much less enjoyable to VTEC it!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by TrackStar,Nov 5 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a similar sound but it sounds like it's inside one of the bars of the soft top frame.
Heya... I know this is an old post, but the ball bearing sound rolling in the roof support bars is actually caused by the head of the rivit holding the fabric on the bar snapped off and rolling around in the bar.

There are end caps on the bars which can be pulled out and the loose bit can be blown out the other side with an air gun or a deep breath.

If it can't however or the bar doesn't have a end caps then you can either inject a little selastic or silicon sealant into the bar.... go for a drive like a maniac... and that little loose bit of the rivit will slide from side to side eventually being stuck in the silicon and be captured there whilst the sealant sets inside the bar thus no more rattle/rolling/tinny sound from that loose rivit bit.

Worked a treat for me after having the roof replaced and the old rivits rolling around in the bars. Some blew out, some were too big to get past the new rivit in place. Silicon Sealant injected into the bar caught the loose bits and set.

Also the Rattle in the Roof catch above the front window can be solved with by removing the whole flippy catch thing, running a bead of sealant between the plastic liner and the catch which slides around and vibrates to make that annoying sound... and reinstall the catch. No more rattles.... EVER!

If I think of more solutions, I'll post them here

Ramjet
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM

I FOUND THE TRUNK RATTLE - at least I found my trunk rattle, and it's not coming from the trunk. The ends of the horizontal plastic bar, at the bottom of the glass rear window are rubbing against the fabric of the top. I glued small 1" pieces of black leather to the fabric where the ends were rubbing. Viola! my rattles are finally all gone - except the right latch is squeaking, but hopefully the dealer will sort that out next service. Hope this works for you.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramjetr,Dec 25 2009, 10:02 PM
Heya... I know this is an old post, but the ball bearing sound rolling in the roof support bars is actually caused by the head of the rivit holding the fabric on the bar snapped off and rolling around in the bar.

There are end caps on the bars which can be pulled out and the loose bit can be blown out the other side with an air gun or a deep breath.

If it can't however or the bar doesn't have a end caps then you can either inject a little selastic or silicon sealant into the bar.... go for a drive like a maniac... and that little loose bit of the rivit will slide from side to side eventually being stuck in the silicon and be captured there whilst the sealant sets inside the bar thus no more rattle/rolling/tinny sound from that loose rivit bit.

Worked a treat for me after having the roof replaced and the old rivits rolling around in the bars. Some blew out, some were too big to get past the new rivit in place. Silicon Sealant injected into the bar caught the loose bits and set.

Also the Rattle in the Roof catch above the front window can be solved with by removing the whole flippy catch thing, running a bead of sealant between the plastic liner and the catch which slides around and vibrates to make that annoying sound... and reinstall the catch. No more rattles.... EVER!

If I think of more solutions, I'll post them here

Ramjet
Nice!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 AM

I have a rattle somewhere on the passenger side of the dash that drives me insane. Spoon N1 and musak drowns it out though.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Assass1n,Feb 12 2010, 08:27 AM
I have a rattle somewhere on the passenger side of the dash that drives me insane. Spoon N1 and musak drowns it out though.
Mine was a cracked heat sheild on the stock header...Swapped in the new Mugen header and no more rattle....except now the heat sheild on the new Mugen header is cracked too.....doooooooghhh!!!! LOL
Old 02-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnuke,Feb 13 2010, 05:42 PM
Mine was a cracked heat sheild on the stock header...Swapped in the new Mugen header and no more rattle....except now the heat sheild on the new Mugen header is cracked too.....doooooooghhh!!!! LOL
Jeesh, I can't think of anything that would cause a header heat shield to crack.